ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #841
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

The rule I've heard for stem length is that the elbow should be laterally 3-4cm ahead of the knee at the front of the stroke, which is about where I'm at. For seat height, I also made sure my foot was level to the ground when I locked my knee at stroke bottom.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #842
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
The rule I've heard for stem length is that the elbow should be laterally 3-4cm ahead of the knee at the front of the stroke, which is about where I'm at. For seat height, I also made sure my foot was level to the ground when I locked my knee at stroke bottom.
if it works for you, then go with it I guess. everything I saw said your knees should never *quite* lock out throughout the pedal stroke.

YMMV and all that though.
mlwarriner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #843
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

They shouldn't; that's just how the seat is adjusted.
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #844
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
mlwarriner said... View Post
watching the tour of California while sitting in my hotel room really makes me miss my roadie
Quote:
L. Ron Hoover said... View Post
You can get pills to help with that.
trying to close the deal on a slightly used road bike drivetrain that i'll use to convert my fart-around bike into a roadie/gravel grinder.

aww yeah.
mlwarriner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #845
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Watching the TdF in the Armstrong era is what got me into riding again.

I haven't ridden the roadie much in the last decade.

I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or move on.

www.lowecustomguitars.com

I belong to the chrysanthemum hour of bright flowers placed in tall vases. - t3ch
BeeTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #846
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

My dad gave me his old 1977 Super Course last night. It's in rough shape and needs a paint job but all the components are there. It's one frame size two big for me (23.5" vs 21.5") so I might try to do a 650b conversion on it and see if that will bring down the standover height enough.
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #847
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

I've got it stripped except for the right crank, bottom bracket, seat post, and stem. Tools are in the mail for the former two, but the latter two are really stuck -- aluminum oxidized into a steel frame from 30 years in a damp garage. I may not be able to get them out, but I have yet to apply the combined magic of chemistry and a BFH.

The chain, chain rings, and front derailer are totally shot. The rear derailer needs to be rebuilt. My dad has an extra set of dura ace components lying around but it seems kind of silly to put them on this bike, so unless I fix the original parts I may fit it with an internally geared hub.

Assuming I get the post and stem out, my plan is to get new brake mounts brazed onto the frame, fit it with either 26" or 650c wheels (I may have to build them myself), touch up the paint or have it powder coated, restore the decals, and clear coat it.

If I can't remove the post and stem without a hacksaw or a machine shop, I'm not sure it will be worth it to salvage the frame. I could try to find a super course frame in the right size and rebuild it with original components. As long as I'm doing stupid bike things, I guess I could have a frame builder chop and resize this frame.

Dumb and impractical, but it'll be a fun frankenbike.

Last edited by ec437; Today at 10:48 AM.