ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #121
Orph

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I tried to get back into CCG's recently with MTG but the tournament structures and frequency of new cards is a huge turn off. It's like a fucking homework assignment keeping up.

I've often thought about something like Warhammer but it's just not the type of activity I want to risk getting financially wrapped up in.
I used to play Warhammer back in the day (~10-12 years ago). I actually won a few painting contests/tournaments. The whole social crowd isn't for me, though. I dusted off the old minis last summer and played a few games with a buddy, that should last me a couple of years.

More than anything, Warhammer is time consuming. You have to know all the rules, and playing the game is a lot more fun when your minis are painted. I probably spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours creating my army.

The minis are a one-time investment, you'll get a very decent army for $1000, which will last you twenty years. The time you spend on the hobby, though, that's the killer, and that's what put me off it. I just don't have the time to spend, and I hate doing anything half-assed: The minis have got to be EXACTLY like I want them to be, and I can easily spend 2 hours painting a miniature (even if I do them in blocks of ten at a time) on average.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #122
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I bailed like a decade ago, and then the lady and I tried to get into it about a year ago. I have a bunch of cards sitting in my closet gathering dust.

It didn't help that we both got angry when we were losing.

It will be about 10 years since I played. They had a promo for a free deck a while back, so I signed up for it. My brother found it in my office, man did I catch a ton of crap for that.

I was REALLY into the star wars card game too.
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #123
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

Quote:
VikingWarlord said... View Post
True enough. That's one reason I'm looking forward to Gen Con next week. As much gaming as I can possibly cram into 4 days!

I've already got a list of 17 things I want to demo and that list will get bigger after actually getting there, I'm sure.
You know, I've seen you and a few others mention this Gen Con thing. Just looked into it. That's seems like a good time.
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #124
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

I've been thinking of getting into CBT. I probably wouldn't actually even play it, but it would be nice to get a Ghost Bears star all painted up, quiaff?
Quote:
Vanlatte said... View Post
It's honestly impossible to tell if you are really funny or a big dickhead.
Quote:
Thunderbroom said... View Post
Cite this.
Quote:
b-bottom said... View Post
I have no idea what 99 percent of the gobbledygook that you just posted means
Owner of an adorably viable set of genes

The literal mind is baffled by the ironic one, demanding explanations that only intensify the joke

Therein lies the secret strength of empires - they can afford the folly of constructed memories
NotFSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #125
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

Quote:
Yea, although since my kids have gotten older it has slowed down a lot. Used to do a lot of historical board gaming, a few CCGs (never again!) and some fun minis. Played Warmachine for a while but started backing off when people started getting Hoardes instead. Does Hero Clix count? Went nuts on that for the whole week it was popular.
There are a couple game stores around here that run weekly HeroClix games. I've never tried that one but it seems interesting. They also run Warmachine and Hordes games.

Quote:
Gen Con kicks ass, I dont care what anyone says. Some of the funnest times of my life were had there.

Yea I am boring.
Absolutely. It's a great time!

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I tried to get back into CCG's recently with MTG but the tournament structures and frequency of new cards is a huge turn off. It's like a fucking homework assignment keeping up.

I've often thought about something like Warhammer but it's just not the type of activity I want to risk getting financially wrapped up in.
If you want to try minis, you can get a 2 player starter box set of Monsterpocalypse for $50 and, though you can keep going and getting more stuff, that set will last you a while. Warmachine and Hordes are also generally smaller scale than Warhammer. Privateer sells Battleboxes of those for pretty cheap too.

I think Malifaux is pretty cheap to get started with as well but I have no direct experience, something I'm hoping to change this year at the Con.

Quote:
Orph said... View Post
I used to play Warhammer back in the day (~10-12 years ago). I actually won a few painting contests/tournaments. The whole social crowd isn't for me, though. I dusted off the old minis last summer and played a few games with a buddy, that should last me a couple of years.

More than anything, Warhammer is time consuming. You have to know all the rules, and playing the game is a lot more fun when your minis are painted. I probably spent hundreds (if not thousands) of hours creating my army.

The minis are a one-time investment, you'll get a very decent army for $1000, which will last you twenty years. The time you spend on the hobby, though, that's the killer, and that's what put me off it. I just don't have the time to spend, and I hate doing anything half-assed: The minis have got to be EXACTLY like I want them to be, and I can easily spend 2 hours painting a miniature (even if I do them in blocks of ten at a time) on average.
This is the issue with Warhammer that some of the other minis games don't have and is part of the reason I never got into them. The other reason was finding others that played. Now we've got some places locally that run a bunch of different games and I'm more likely to make the leap.

I'm looking forward to checking out Leviathans. It's being put out by Catalyst Game Labs and it's a steampunk airship-style aerial combat strategy miniatures game.

There's also a bunch of really fucked up board and card games like Fairy Meat, Psiduel, Redneck Life, Cutthroat Caverns, Shootin' Ladders, Quack In The Box, Food Fight, and stuff from Gozer Games and Steve Jackson Games.

Yeah. I'm excited.
VikingWarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #126
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Quote:
I'm curious, is there anyone that's into gaming that isn't of the video variety?
I'm obviously a big enough geek for this to be the case.

I play Living Forgotten Realms (4e D&D) at cons and we just finished our home campaign which was 4e. Several of the folks (Including me) don't necessarily like 4e, so the next campaign will be different (maybe as different as running Spycraft or a d20 version of cyberpunk). Paranoia is always a fun RPG for a bit (it's not meant for extended campaigns though).

I also dig playing board games. A friend at work really likes Catan, and I really dig old Avalon Hill stuff. Republic of Rome is awesome, but takes a freaking day to play. Machiavelli is probably my favorite Diplomacy variant.

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy, but the cost was too much. I don't play any CCGs any more since MTG became such a "if you don't buy the new set, you'll suck" scheme, and no one plays Legend of the Five Rings anymore. I also don't LARP (despite Hammer's claims) since I don't have any fun doing it.

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #127
Vanlatte

Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
oia is always a fun RPG for a bit.

I also dig playing board games. A friend at work really likes Catan, and I really dig old Avalon Hill stuff. Republic of Rome is awesome, but takes a freaking day to play. Machiavelli is probably my favorite Diplomacy variant.

I was raised on Avalon Hill games! I doubt you could name one that I didn't at least try Games Workshop too, think my dad still has those buried in the basement somewhere. I should go rescue them...

Although these days I prefer the simpler, fast based stuff. Always wanted to try the Settlers games.

Munchkin FTW!!!
Vanlatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #128
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Quote:
I doubt you could name one that I didn't at least try
How about Kremlin - The Game of Power Politics in its Rawest Form?

Quote:
Munchkin FTW!!!
Such a great "What do you want to do while we wait?" game.
King Kashue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #129
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

I've got about an 8000 point Blood Angels army kicking about somewhere.
NotFSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #130
Orph

Quote:
This is the issue with Warhammer that some of the other minis games don't have and is part of the reason I never got into them. The other reason was finding others that played. Now we've got some places locally that run a bunch of different games and I'm more likely to make the leap.
Warhammer is GREAT game, though. I still break out the hobby kit and paint a few miniatures every few years. Before I played a couple of games last summer, I hadn't played it for like ten years, so it's not like I consider myself a warhammer player anymore, even though I've still got all the tools and minis.

And as I said, the crowds that play WH isn't really my fortè.
Orph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #131
rummy

Mostly sports games on the 360.

NBA 2k11, Madden, and Forza.
rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #132
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

I LOVE Settlers of Catan. A friend of mine has the base game along with the Seafarers expansion and we try to get together at her house about once a month to play.

Somehow, I've never played Munchkin. Steve Jackson's got a lot of great stuff and it's been recommended to me many times. I'm planning to get into some of those game sessions next weekend. Zombie Dice game is hilarious and a lot of fun, especially when you turn it into a drinking game.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #133
Vanlatte

Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
How about Kremlin - The Game of Power Politics in its Rawest Form?

Ok, there is one.

Was Tactics II AH? Think that was my first...Luftwaffe shortly thereafter. My dad was really into it and seemed to bring home a new game weekly.

The big strategic ones were always fun but so time consuming. In the time it took to set up Flat Top or The Russian Campaign we could have played one game each of Alpha Omega, Tobruk, Gunslinger and a few Squad Leader scenarios.

Quote:

Somehow, I've never played Munchkin. Steve Jackson's got a lot of great stuff and it's been recommended to me many times.
Drunk Munchkin is one of the funnest (and funniest) things I can think of.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #134
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

Quote:
The thing that intrigues me most is that all the standalone games can be used together in one big Munchkin gangbang. You can get a sci-fi pirate adventure or a fantasy zombie spy thriller if you put them together. There are even rules for incorporating the Zombie Dice and Cthulhu Dice into the Munchkin games.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #135
t3ch
cucklord 9000

I've had munchkin for awhile now and still haven't been able to get people to come over and play.

t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #136
pamackie

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I've had munchkin for awhile now and still haven't been able to get people to come over and play.
I had a brief love affair with Munchkin but boy, does that shit get old fast.

Thunderbroom is good people in a business capacity.

Winner- ThudMaker's Wisdom Post of the Day Award for 4/13/10
pamackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #137
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

Quote:
pamackie said... View Post
I had a brief love affair with Munchkin but boy, does that shit get old fast.
How so?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #138
pamackie

Quote:
How so?
No matter how much crap you throw into the deck, every game comes out more or less the same. Luck is too big of a factor and strategies are too limited. The more you play the more it feels like Candy Land. And it's not all that funny.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #139
Vanlatte

Quote:
No matter how much crap you throw into the deck, every game comes out more or less the same. Luck is too big of a factor and strategies are too limited. The more you play the more it feels like Candy Land. And it's not all that funny.
Meh, says you.

Putting too many of the sets together just makes it a soup sandwich, always had more fun sticking with one or two themes.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #140
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Quote:
I don't think its market is the in-depth strategy crowd.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #141
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I don't think its market is the in-depth strategy crowd.
I think this point is proven with this quote:

Quote:
Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #142
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Drunken apples to apples is pretty fantastic.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #143
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

I've never played that one either but I've heard a lot about it.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #144
t3ch
cucklord 9000

It's a lot of fun if you know the people. You can guess people's tendencies and what they'll reward; it's kind of hit or miss and not as great with strangers.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #145
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

Cards Against Humanity is the best party game ever. EVER. Hands down. Bar none. Without a doubt.

I understand that it is also like Apples to Apples, only absolutely fucking horrifying.

Everyone has a hand of cards with a word or phrase on it. The card czar asks a question, everyone picks the card that has the best answer on it. The card czar decides who wins the round. My brother got it for his birthday and we all got shitfaced and played it last night.

There is a card in the box that says "Two midgets shitting into a bucket". That should be enough for anyone to want to get it.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #146
oldivor
take it easy

Quote:
I'm curious, is there anyone that's into gaming that isn't of the video variety?
I used to play a lot of VNs. Although they're still "video games" they're sort of on the borderline.
oldivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #147
VikingWarlord
Professional irritant

I'm not sure what a VN is.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #148
niomosy

Quote:
Some cards, occasionally. Usually Spades if we're with my friend and his wife and we have the time. We had a weekly D&D group going for a while years ago but with a people having families that died out.

These days it's a board game occasionally. Our oldest can handle the kids board games so that's usually what we end up with.

WINNER of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award 8/8/2006

Blog
niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #149
pamackie

Quote:
I go through phases. Video games, then board games, then puzzles. Right now I'm on a puzzles phase.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #150
Vanlatte

Quote:
oldivor said... View Post
I used to play a lot of VNs. Although they're still "video games" they're sort of on the borderline.
Quote:
I'm not sure what a VN is.
Me to....

VN?