ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #121
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Quote:
rowka said... View Post
Hard to say. I haven't really seen much of a used market for these yet. I imagine at best I'd be able to recoup 50%.

The more I think about the practicality of this, the more I think it makes sense to just create the designs in CAD and have templates made.
Mike Potvin makes and sells templates and has a CNC machine.

I'd guess if you give him a clean enough file, milling the template would be a breeze.

The local guys at Electra/Chafin/Crackercaster have another builder's old CNC machine but still do virtually every US build using templates and a pin router.

http://www.guitarrepairoftampabay.com/crackercaster.asp

www.lowecustomguitars.com

I belong to the chrysanthemum hour of bright flowers placed in tall vases. - t3ch
BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #122
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

There's a local company that specializes in custom acrylic aquariums and filters. They also hire out thier excess acrylic cnc capacity for other custom work. I'm going to contact them about their pricing.

Live like a windrammer as you fuck!
AARG! I'm being crushed by an unkowable crab apple!
Holy shit Karl....

Quote:
bassesofalessergod said... View Post
Quote:
bassesofalessergod said... View Post
i'll buy you all the wood you want for a tele bass...

tell me ho wmuch!
best. post. ever.
rowka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #123
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Quote:
rowka said... View Post
There's a local company that specializes in custom acrylic aquariums and filters. They also hire out thier excess acrylic cnc capacity for other custom work. I'm going to contact them about their pricing.
I imagine that's really the way to go for original designs and when you can do the CAD designs yourself.

Potvin's advantage is he's a guitar builder, so he has a lot of the "vintage spec" details already programmed and saved.

You have me daydreaming about overarm routers again.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #124
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

I actually haven't used that Daisy over arm pin fixture since the first build. Ever since we found those 2" long, bottom bearing up cut spiral bits.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #125
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Quote:
rowka said... View Post
I actually haven't used that Daisy over arm pin fixture since the first build. Ever since we found those 2" long, bottom bearing up cut spiral bits.
I must have missed, or forgotten about them.

These, or similar?

Nice.

Definitely renders the Daisy pointless.

Last edited by BeeTL; 01-09-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #126
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

Yes. You actually turned me on to those shortly after you turned me on to the Daisy.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #127
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

The advantage of the Daisy is that with a non-bearing bit, you can slowly increase the cut dept. I think that would greatly reduce end grain tear out (especially around the upper horns). I need to take mine into work and have the machine shop and have them tighten up the follower mechanism. It's a bit loose (I think you made the same observation).
Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #128
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Yeah...the pin on the Daisy was a weak point.

I've sold mine on since then.

Back then I was doing a lot of soul-searching for about how I might proceed as a builder, but I've settled into the OEM route.

Every once in a while, I get the woodworking bug, but home improvement projects seem to scratch that itch.

Last edited by BeeTL; 01-09-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:38 AM   #129
ironfist
lecherous voyeur

I'd like a Rickenfaker/Chickenbacker. The one from thecheapestguitar dot com is the best looking Chickenbacker I've seen. A lot of the others look like they just took pictures of a Ric and tried to copy it as best they could, whereas this one looks like they actually got the dimensions right...

You can obviously see some stuff is off with these...

ironfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #130
b-bottom

I had a 70's fakenbacker for bout a minute a bunch of years ago. It was the biggest POS that I've ever owned.

If I were you I'd just save up for a real one

NEVER TRUST A BIG BUTT AND A SMILE

Hudson Hawk > Donnie Darko

Bands
Mass Driver

Appalachian Surf Team
b-bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #131
t3ch
cucklord 9000

those first two fakenbaker pics are setting off my AV like crazy

t3ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #132
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
BeeTL said... View Post

Back then I was doing a lot of soul-searching for about how I might proceed as a builder, but I've settled into the OEM route.
I think the route where you only produce like 5 units a year, have a 3 year backlog with dudes talking shit about you on bass forums, and have quirky QC issues would have been a mistake. One that lots of boutique builders dont realize they made until it's too late, and they're refunding everyone's deposits.

My YouTube Channel

Standards: Better when low. - BottomHeavyKate

"Whack shitter closet" is a phrase that needs to go somewhere. - ec437
Croissant Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #133
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

Quote:
Croissant Seven said... View Post
I think the route where you only produce like 5 units a year, have a 3 year backlog with dudes talking shit about you on bass forums, and have quirky QC issues would have been a mistake. One that lots of boutique builders dont realize they made until it's too late, and they're refunding everyone's deposits.
That's why I don't take deposits.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #134
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
rowka said... View Post
That's why I don't take deposits.
I think the boutique fever of the mid-2000's has sort of died down, but I remember a time where freakin' everybody was either waiting on some dude to finish his bass, complaining that the fit/finish/sound/playability wasn't what they expected, or lamenting that they couldn't get full value on resale for their one-off bass.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #135
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

Yeah, I remember that.

My "model" hasn't developed to the point of profit. I've been approaching building from the standpoint of build what someone wants for the cost of materials plus just a tiny bit extra (the Sharks would rip me on my margins ) that if I ended up having to eat, I wouldn't mind owning myself.

So far I kinda wish I'd kept everything I've done.
Boalg's orange bass and Vanlatte's gold top tele in particular.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #136
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
rowka said... View Post
Yeah, I remember that.

My "model" hasn't developed to the point of profit. I've been approaching building from the standpoint of build what someone wants for the cost of materials plus just a tiny bit extra (the Sharks would rip me on my margins ) that if I ended up having to eat, I wouldn't mind owning myself.

So far I kinda wish I'd kept everything I've done.
Boalg's orange bass and Vanlatte's gold top tele in particular.
You have a couple of works out there in the world that you can be really proud of, so that's a win.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #137
t3ch
cucklord 9000

or cab makers like Dr Bass being a year behind schedule
t3ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #138
L. Ron Hoover
Slidey McGee

Quote:
I think the boutique fever of the mid-2000's has sort of died down, but I remember a time where freakin' everybody was either waiting on some dude to finish his bass, complaining that the fit/finish/sound/playability wasn't what they expected, or lamenting that they couldn't get full value on resale for their one-off bass.

There is still a thread on TB about one "builder" who took a bunch of deposits and never delivered anything. Think it's been about 10 years now.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #139
lug

Quote:
L. Ron Hoover said... View Post

There is still a thread on TB about one "builder" who took a bunch of deposits and never delivered anything. Think it's been about 10 years now.
Darin Huff.....the upside is that if you actually have a Darrin Huff.....YOU KNOW IT'S RARE!!!!
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #140
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
L. Ron Hoover said... View Post

I don't feel sorry for most of those guys. If you break your dick out to swing it around, you can't be surprised if someone takes a swipe at it with a box cutter every once in a while.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #141
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

I've been pretty happy with my model.

Build what interests me, and sell it as it's completed.

I've only had a couple of commissioned builds, and they stressed me out because they took longer than I'd hoped, mostly due to delays in paint.

That said, the longest custom took six months, but that was because it hadn't been programmed yet...the Chromasonic fiver.

And profit...what's that?

That said, I'll keep at it as long as I enjoy the work, and I have enjoyed every build so far.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #142
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
BeeTL said... View Post

And profit...what's that?
In a nutshell, profit is the primary goal of any business. In order to profit, you must take devastating losses on your products; you should only be recouping about 20% of your investment in materials and labor in order to be deemed "profitable".

If you want my help in achieving your profitability goals, dont hesitate to call me.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #143
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

Quote:
In a nutshell, profit is the primary goal of any business. In order to profit, you must take devastating losses on your products; you should only be recouping about 20% of your investment in materials and labor in order to be deemed "profitable".

If you want my help in achieving your profitability goals, dont hesitate to call me.
It sounds like I'm on the right track already, so I'm not sure I need the help.

Thanks anyway!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #144
bholder
Affable Sociopath

I have sinned. I'm GASsing for something that isn't a bass, quite the opposite: the Gold Tone GM-12+ Octave 12 string:
bholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 AM   #145
ironfist
lecherous voyeur

Quote:
b-bottom said... View Post
I had a 70's fakenbacker for bout a minute a bunch of years ago. It was the biggest POS that I've ever owned.

True, the fakes are most likely not great basses. However, the reason I want one is because of CEO John Hall's stance and the Rickenbacker fanboi apparatchiks. Having a Chickenbacker is just a big "screw you" to them.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #146
jonjohn
I'm back

Quote:
b-bottom said... View Post

The mother of an old girl friend of mine has/had? this amazing Ibanez 70 ric copy. I would have paid a lot of money for it, if she'd have sold it
jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #147
bholder
Affable Sociopath

Quote:
ironfist said... View Post
True, the fakes are most likely not great basses. However, the reason I want one is because of CEO John Hall's stance and the Rickenbacker fanboi apparatchiks. Having a Chickenbacker is just a big "screw you" to them.
I've considered having one made, but in a flavor Rickenbacker will never make - like say a doubleneck 4003 5 string fretless / fretted pair. But it'd be a waste if it was for appearances only - I wouldn't require it to sound exactly like a real Ric, but it would have to be playable and sound good or there's no point.
bholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #148
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

Quote:
jonjohn said... View Post
The mother of an old girl friend of mine has/had? this amazing Ibanez 70 ric copy. I would have paid a lot of money for it, if she'd have sold it
Those were really nice basses. Didn't really sound like a Ric, but a killer bass nonetheless.

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #149
ironfist
lecherous voyeur

Quote:
bholder said... View Post
I've considered having one made, but in a flavor Rickenbacker will never make - like say a doubleneck 4003 5 string fretless / fretted pair. But it'd be a waste if it was for appearances only - I wouldn't require it to sound exactly like a real Ric, but it would have to be playable and sound good or there's no point.
+1

I'm not overly enamored with the "Ric sound", which most people seem to describe as that clanky, trebly sound like Chris Squire had in the tune Roundabout. To be fair, I'm not even sure what the sound of a Ric truly is, as I think they sound pretty much like most other basses depending on amp settings and what pickup you're using. Rickenbackers can get a very nice, warm tone when using the neck pickup too, so I think the treble-heavy stereotype is a bit unfair to them.

I like Rics because of the feel and the looks. If I had the real deal, I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the pickups with the bartolini or even the Seymour Duncan replacements. Ric fans cry that they make the bass lose the "Signature Sound", but I think that's fanboi-ism more than anything else.

Don't forget about the horrible, antiquated bridge design on the 4001/4003 or the ridiculous and completely unnecessary rear pickup surround and cover. However, those things complete the Ric look so you have to learn to live with them. Ric fans will even justify those things and try to tell people that the original bridge design is perfect, and those who complain just don't understand how to use it.

I agree that having a bass made purely as a lookalike would be a bit of waste, especially if you're spending all that money. That's why I'd like a Rickenfaker as long as it can be made to play well. I wouldn't need the "Ric Sound" as it would be purely for looks and to spite the Ric nazis.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #150
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

Quote:
ironfist said... View Post
I like Rics because of the feel and the looks. If I had the real deal, I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the pickups with the bartolini or even the Seymour Duncan replacements. Ric fans cry that they make the bass lose the "Signature Sound", but I think that's fanboi-ism more than anything else.
Describes it perfectly. I can the ric sound on my schecter bass VI quite nicely, actually. The looks, however, is what gets me, and I love the feel.
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote