ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #61
brett

brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #62
willsellout
Taking some time off

With the untimely passing of Jon Bunch, I've been listening to a ton of Sensefield. They shaped my youth and I was really devastated when I found out Jon had died. I had recently spoken to him about his new project, Lucky Scars, and he seemed really excited. This song is one of my favorite ever recorded.

Also been listening to Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes:
willsellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #63
J the D
Bozo

Led Zeppelin Top 33 on Slacker. Door shut and music playing loud.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #64
zachoff

Lucero Pandora Session...
http://www.pandora.com/station/play/3020679378731803407
zachoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #65
mykizha
Resident Non Resident

mykizha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #66
zachoff

One of the few 90s punk rock bands that I still love.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #67
BeeTL
eLoweminatus

I got an inquiry from overseas about a bass build.

While searching the internet for wisdom on selling and shipping to Singapore, I came across this...and I can't get it out of my head:

www.lowecustomguitars.com

I belong to the chrysanthemum hour of bright flowers placed in tall vases. - t3ch
BeeTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #68
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Buddy Guy's Sweet Tea album (2001) on Spotify. Pretty raw and heavy for a guy recognizing his age.

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #69
78pbass

Quote:
zachoff said... View Post
One of the few 90s punk rock bands that I still love.

I know.

THings are getting tougher when you can't get the top off the bottom of the barrel
Ask Pete Townsend what happens when you win the volume wars. Be sure to yell. – Craigv
"We had our dog's pentacles removed so he will stop roaming the neighborhood at night."-ezstep
"your dog had five acles? That's some dog. - Hasbeen
78pbass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #70
zachoff

This masterpiece of bass history...

Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #71
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
Buddy Guy's Sweet Tea album (2001) on Spotify. Pretty raw and heavy for a guy recognizing his age.
Saw him and BB King on that tour in 2001.

Buddy just killed it.

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #72
steers b-c

Perfect rock n' roll. All power chords, all power.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #73
DevilRaysFan
BOALG-Lite

Today's Jogging MP3s were Def Leppard's "High N' Dry" and "Pyromania" - I literally haven't listened to both albums in decades....I made some very important discoveries relistening to these: these albums ("Pyromania" being on Fairlight) are excellent recordings....and Rick Savage is an excellent in-the-pocket groove player: very tight articulate playing, with simple but well-thought-out basslines (of how they work with the drums and guitars) and very well locked in with the drums....I always thought he was an OK player but got a lot more respect for him now -- hes a damn good player!

Last edited by DevilRaysFan; 02-22-2016 at 10:35 PM.
DevilRaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #74
jonjohn
I'm back

Quote:
zachoff said... View Post
This masterpiece of bass history...

Sounds pretty awesome. I wonder if Fugazi, Shellac and the Jesus Lizard ever listened to these guys
jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #75
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179

Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #76
L. Ron Hoover
Slidey McGee

Quote:
steers b-c said... View Post

Perfect rock n' roll. All power chords, all power.
I think they've been listening to Kyuss. I like it.

Quote:
DevilRaysFan said... View Post
Today's Jogging MP3s were Def Leppard's "High N' Dry" and "Pyromania" - I literally haven't listened to both albums in decades....I made some very important discoveries relistening to these: these albums ("Pyromania" being on Fairlight) are excellent recordings....and Rick Savage is an excellent in-the-pocket groove player: very tight articulate playing, with simple but well-thought-out basslines (of how they work with the drums and guitars) and very well locked in with the drums....I always thought he was an OK player but got a lot more respect for him now -- hes a damn good player!
I heard the isolated bass track for Foolin' the other day. The bass line is a lot more complex than I remember it being. I really love both of those albums but can't stand anything they did after. Pyromania puts me right back in 1983. It was one of the first cassettes I ordered from Columbia House and I wore it out.

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post
Saw him and BB King on that tour in 2001.

Buddy just killed it.
Funny, I did sound for both of them around that time. Buddy in the winter of 2001 in Orono, Maine and BB the winter of 2002 on a bunch of Atlantic Canadian dates. Mixing and meeting those guys were high points of my audio career. Both were super cool and very chatty. Buddy was louder than hell. I know I've told this story before, but the theatre had a very strict 95dBA SPL limit at FOH and when Buddy came out for soundcheck, the first chord he played hit 105 on their meter and a bunch of people came running to tell me to turn it down. I just grinned and said that the PA wasn't even on. They said that I needed to go tell him to turn down and I said that if they wanted Buddy Guy to turn down, they could tell him themselves because there was no way in hell I was going to do it. They scuttled off and had a chat with his tour manager who basically told them they could take it or leave it. Apparently they had an emergency meeting of the university senate and temporarily changed the SPL limit rule for the show. It was hilarious. I told Buddy and his tour manager that they had wanted me to go tell him to turn down and that I would have no part of it. He said "good man! I would have just turned it up anyway!" We all had a good laugh about it and the show was stellar. No one complained that it was too loud, either.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #77
brett

Old 02-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #78
L. Ron Hoover
Slidey McGee

Ghost's Meliora is getting heavy play this week.
L. Ron Hoover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #79
J the D
Bozo

Had the "Try" live album by John Mayer shaking the rear view mirror in the way in this morning. Has Pino Palladino on bass and Steve Jordan on drums.
J the D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #80
DevilRaysFan
BOALG-Lite

This morning's jogging playlist was both Quiet Riot albums ( I and II) from the 70s featuring Randy Rhoads on guitar..............this was the first time I listened to them.....its also going to be the last time I listen to them: they were both quite terrible...actually "II" was a lot better than the first but still not very good (which gives you an idea just how bad "I" was)
Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #81
LouSpaceMonkey
Muse hater

It's a pretty thick line between doing jumps on a skateboard and being a retard... I was never one to cross that line and just watched my friends constantly hurt themselves. – T3ch, Mon. June 28, 2010 8:44 am

Drunken skateboarding not a great idea, I hurt my hand pretty bad. Debating whether to go to the emergency room or not. – T3ch, Sat. July 3, 2010 6:32 am
LouSpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #82
DevilRaysFan
BOALG-Lite

Today's indoor jogging playlist (if this rain ever lightens up enough to take a drive to the "Y") - still on an 80s heavy rock kick -- Alcatrazz "No Parole For Rock N Roll"
Old 02-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #83
brett

Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #84
Jugghaid

Quote:
Today's indoor jogging playlist (if this rain ever lightens up enough to take a drive to the "Y") - still on an 80s heavy rock kick -- Alcatrazz "No Parole For Rock N Roll"
Love that album........Graham Bonnet has a killer voice and the guitar player was pretty good too.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #85
DevilRaysFan
BOALG-Lite

Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post
Love that album........Graham Bonnet has a killer voice and the guitar player was pretty good too.
First time I ever heard it and I really really liked it.... In fact, I liked it enough to have "Disturbing The Peace" and "Dangerous Games" (also with a different pretty good guitar player ) cued up for today's jog
Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #86
Jugghaid

Quote:
First time I ever heard it and I really really liked it.... In fact, I liked it enough to have "Disturbing The Peace" and "Dangerous Games" (also with a different pretty good guitar player ) cued up for today's jog
Dangerous games was pretty good. I still have that around somewhere. I'll have to dig it out, it's been forever since I litened to it. Disturbing the Peace was fucking amazeballs.

My old guitar player and lifelong friend has one of Via's guitars from the "Dusturbing the Peace" tour. It's an Aria Flying V and Vai carved into the back "Alcatrazz tour 1985 (I think) guitar # 7" or something like that. he broke the neck of it at the end of Mercy and gave it to his girlfriend in the front row. She had a new neck put on it and gave it to him for his birthday. I think it's something he did every show. Cool little collector piece. Totally 80's too. Orange and black tiger stripe flying V. That was the first time I ever saw Vai live. He was absolutely amazing back then in a band format. I like his solo stuff but with a band like that he was a straight up killer.

Graham Bonnet is one of the most underrated and unknown killer voices in Rock IMO. And he got to have some of the greatest, most legendary guitar players play with him. Malmsteen, Vai, Schenker, Impelliterri not to mention Blackmore and Slash and others.

Last edited by Jugghaid; 02-26-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #87
DevilRaysFan
BOALG-Lite

Is it me or was that the best I ever heard Yngwie play? Also, Disturbing The Peace was worth it just for "God Blessed Video" although the rest of the album is good too

todays jogging playlist - still on 80s rock kick:

finishing "Dangerous Games"
Saxon - Crusader

Last edited by DevilRaysFan; 02-26-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #88
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #89
zachoff

Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #90
zachoff

Saw Jehu last summer. They played Riot Fest in Denver then later that night played a "secret" show at the Marquis. Didn't start until 10, but ruled. You could tell they were pretty beat and Froberg's voice was going but man... Speedo was on fire and it was awesome to finally get to see them.