ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Location: Lying motionless on the ground clutching an empty bottle labelled 'IRONY'
Post The EU referendum debate

...has got really fucking weird
Quote:
Vanlatte said... View Post
It's honestly impossible to tell if you are really funny or a big dickhead.
Quote:
Thunderbroom said... View Post
Cite this.
Quote:
b-bottom said... View Post
I have no idea what 99 percent of the gobbledygook that you just posted means
Owner of an adorably viable set of genes

The literal mind is baffled by the ironic one, demanding explanations that only intensify the joke

Therein lies the secret strength of empires - they can afford the folly of constructed memories
NotFSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
vladoicho

Oh, for fuck's sake...
vladoicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Droplede
helicommuter

Dude.

Just, dude.

I guess the moral is: Showy Dipshits will dipshit showily. Or something. Now I've forgotten, as a defense mechanism.

But if the kids starve, then they can't grow up to be terrorists. -OneBadMonkey

Ass-hattery is not to be dabbled with ... you need to COMMIT. -BeeTL
Droplede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Seethroughsouls
BHMCC

Oh the EU isn't working? I am shocked.

Quote:
Try heaven for the scenery and hell for the company
Work hard today! Millions on welfare are counting on you.
Seethroughsouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Location: Lying motionless on the ground clutching an empty bottle labelled 'IRONY'
It's the presence of joey Essex that makes the whole thing comically perfect, imho.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Quote:
Seethroughsouls said... View Post
Oh the EU isn't working? I am shocked.
Calm down, Nigel.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
vladoicho

He's just angry cos he couldn't get in time for the boat race.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
LonerMatt

I have to teach lessons on this shit to kids this week.

I fucking hate this debate. As far as I can tell it's a bunch of jerks (leave) talking shit while calmer people say normal things (stay).

Literally none of the arguments are cognizant:
1. We spend money (it gets returned to England)
2. The EU is undemocratic (so is the House of Lords)
3. The EU have too much power (it took, what? 22 years to agree on a definition of chocolate, which hardly indicates the EU is romping and stomping around)
4. Fuck immigrants (fuck you)

Argh can next Thursday just come and go already
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

My local Conservative MP is campaigning for Brexit alongside someone from the Communist party. That's how deranged the whole thing is.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
LouSpaceMonkey
Muse hater

You guys can always come hang out in the U.S. till it blows over

We'll even show you guys our gun collection

It's a pretty thick line between doing jumps on a skateboard and being a retard... I was never one to cross that line and just watched my friends constantly hurt themselves. – T3ch, Mon. June 28, 2010 8:44 am

Drunken skateboarding not a great idea, I hurt my hand pretty bad. Debating whether to go to the emergency room or not. – T3ch, Sat. July 3, 2010 6:32 am
LouSpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
Mikko

Brexit...if it happens, all the British national football sides should be kicked out of UEFA.

Then they could establish a British football championship cup.

And then England would finally win something.

Another rational argument in favour of Brexit.
Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
LonerMatt said... View Post
3. The EU have too much power (it took, what? 22 years to agree on a definition of chocolate, which hardly indicates the EU is romping and stomping around)
Hey, Captain Morgan is a "rum-based spirit drink!"

Also, several years ago, I remember Romanians were in some trouble for performing their Christmas ritual of slaughtering of pigs.

A common foreign policy and defense force seem a little difficult, however.

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
NotFSI said... View Post

Not exactly the Duke of Medina vs. Drake, is it?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
Not exactly the Duke of Medina vs. Drake, is it?
Honestly, when I first heard about it on 'The World At One' I was like "Since when have The Onion had a slot on Radio 4?"
Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #15
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

If we were talking frigates with the odd man-o-war, I could see journalist justification for "flotilla."

But small fishing vessels and tugboats?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #16
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
If we were talking frigates with the odd man-o-war, I could see journalist justification for "flotilla."

But small fishing vessels and tugboats?
I particularly liked the line about 'impoverished fishermen'.

"I'm so poor I can afford to take a day off work to sail my massive fucking boat up the Thames"

Cry me a river, Captain Haddock.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
ThudMaker
Still From the Block

I don't understand this. Can someone explain WTF is going on? It looks like some people dislike the EU or large corporations?

Post of the Day Award - Allan 1/13/2011
Joint Winners of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!! - 7/9/2010
ThudMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:27 AM   #18
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
ThudMaker said... View Post
I don't understand this. Can someone explain WTF is going on? It looks like some people dislike the EU or large corporations?
Pending correction by UK forumites...

Part of it is history/geography/self-perception: Britain has always seen itself as part of European politics, but not completely "of" Europe in the continental sense, with a vigorous debate over how close Britain should get and what she should give up, if she expects to have a influential say in European affairs.

Bankers and "exporters" to the Common Market like easier trade access and lower transaction costs across borders. Nearly everyone is worried about higher costs of doing business outside the EU. Already markets are pricing in higher interest rates on loans to British companies. And the pound has depreciated as a currency. I'm not sure what's going on with unemployment rates as I haven't looked.

Every country in the EU has populations with substantial gripes about the loss of some amount of sovereignty to bureaucrats in Brussels and Strasbourg (laws, regulations) and EU courts. In addition, UKIP and fellow far right travelers can't stand substantial immigration inflows from countries like Poland and Lithuania, with all the "they're stealing our jerbs!" you'd expect. And there is always concern, not just in Britain, about tax payments that get redistributed in unequal ways (like the Common Agricultural Policy), when national institutions can't do anything about it.

The Conservative Party has always been historically split between those endorsing the EU for the economic benefits, versus those who prioritize total sovereignty (frankly, it often leaves the impression that many of them miss the Empire, and many often have no small amount of disdain for other nations/peoples). Compromise between those wings of the party is one of the major reasons Britain has kept the pound, rather than adopted the euro. Financial woes in Greece, Portugal, Spain, and more recently Italy, combined with the various tranches of EU bailout funds, have only added grist to the mill of those Tories who abhor the eurozone and who want to leave the EU altogether.

Plus, every country is concerned that the more countries you add to the EU, the more you dilute the voice of the existing members in every leading governmental body - the Commission, the Parliament, the Council. To the point that they've increasingly had to resort to arcane rules of majorities and supermajorities, and moved away from consensus where it existed.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #19
Mikko

Quote:
ThudMaker said... View Post
A fairly sizeable part of British - well, English, people have always been anti-Continent. After winning the general election in 2015, David Cameron, the PM, agreed to have a referendum on leaving the EU, to appease the conservative MPs of his own party and the UKIP (UK Independence Party). If I remember correctly, that promise helped him to secure the win. Maybe. Cameron himself is and has been pro-EU, btw.

The Brexit people live in the time when the UK was ruling a vast empire where the sun never set, and automatically assume things will be better for the country when it can "decide for itself". The Bremain people are those who have different views.

Since no one really knows what the concrete effects will be, the campaigning on both sides has gone emotional.

My guess is that it could start a process where other EU nations (not all) would start looking for an exit as well. It would take a long time, though. Even more likely and definitely faster, it would break down the UK. I'm fairly sure Scotland would redo the independence referendum, vote yes, and seek to join (what will be left) of the EU.

I'm an IT guy who plays bass, so that's not a necessarily fully accurate analysis.

Last edited by Mikko; 06-16-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #20
lug

The EU is the core of the One World Gubmint conspiracy and controlled by the illuminati. They want to regulate everything from the allowable height of a person to how many socks you can own. I read it on the Dark Web so I can't show you the proof here.
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #21
Mikko

Quote:
lug said... View Post
The EU is the core of the One World Gubmint conspiracy and controlled by the illuminati. They want to regulate everything from the allowable height of a person to how many socks you can own. I read it on the Dark Web so I can't show you the proof here.
Now you gone done told everyone. Can't keep a secret.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
lug

Quote:
Mikko said... View Post
Now you gone done told everyone. Can't keep a secret.
Only my closest friends and those who subscribe to my newsletter. I have to assume KK keeps this place clear of the proletariat.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #23
vladoicho

You might receive an unexpected midnight visit soon.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #24
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Whenever I see the words "Brexit" and "Bremain", I roll my eyes so hard it cavitates the inside of my skull.

Let the tabloid overlords name your babies next, y'all.

My YouTube Channel

Standards: Better when low. - BottomHeavyKate

"Whack shitter closet" is a phrase that needs to go somewhere. - ec437
Croissant Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #25
lug

Quote:
vladoicho said... View Post
You might receive an unexpected midnight visit soon.
Don't be ridiculous. Your paranoid delusions are starting to effect the way you.....wait, someone is at the door, will be right bac.....(static)
Old 06-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #26
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
Quote:
Mikko said... View Post
A fairly sizeable part of British - well, English, people have always been anti-Continent.
That's a bit unfair. Plenty of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish people on the Leave side. Last poll had Leave ahead in Scotland.

Quote:
Mikko said... View Post
Even more likely and definitely faster, it would break down the UK. I'm fairly sure Scotland would redo the independence referendum, vote yes, and seek to join (what will be left) of the EU.
Couldn't happen right now. Scotland doesn't have the resources to be financially independent. If they'd voted for independence in their referendum, they'd be screwed now due to the price of oil tanking.

Quote:
Croissant Seven said... View Post
Whenever I see the words "Brexit" and "Bremain", I roll my eyes so hard it cavitates the inside of my skull.

Let the tabloid overlords name your babies next, y'all.
This thread is the first place I have ever seen or heard the word 'Bremain'. Brexit is in common usage but most people are using Leave and Remain.
Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can keep silent. The only way to gain approval is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me. Someone somewhere soon will take care of you, I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart. Houses as ruins and gardens as weeds. Why do anything when you can forget everything? I stare at the sky and it leaves me blind. I close my eyes and this is yesterday.

Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 15th July 2016
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
Mikko

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
That's a bit unfair. Plenty of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish people on the Leave side. Last poll had Leave ahead in Scotland.
Don't take me too seriously on these issues...think of me being like...Lee Mack on a panel show, not like someone voicing seriously pondered ideas with intellectual gravitas.

Having said that, there are 50 million English people, around 20 to 25m in favour of "leave", that's more than the total number of Scots, Welsh, and NIrons combined!

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Couldn't happen right now. Scotland doesn't have the resources to be financially independent. If they'd voted for independence in their referendum, they'd be screwed now due to the price of oil tanking.
Lots of people say Brexit can't happen for financial reasons. Lots of international investors are in London because of the language, and it being a gateway to EU. If it would not be that in future, they'd go somewhere else. I don't know about the French, but modern Germans would be more than happy to speak English to accommodate them.

Oil is still not free, and what would the future outlook for Scotland be either as a part of an isolated Britain vs a part of EU?

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
This thread is the first place I have ever seen or heard the word 'Bremain'. Brexit is in common usage but most people are using Leave and Remain.
Seriously?

Feb 26

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/26/to-br...-question.html

Feb 26

http://www.wsj.com/articles/britains...ain-1456499551

First reference Jun 22, 2015

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bremain

Jun 7

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-eu-referendum
Old 06-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
Freak
on a Leash

Yes, seriously.

Two of those links are American. I never use Wiktionary but that seems to suggest it's only been used a handful of times as a direct comparison to Brexit. The only site I use on that list is The Guardian and I've never seen them use Bremain until clicking on that link.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #29
Mikko

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Yes, seriously.

Two of those links are American. I never use Wiktionary but that seems to suggest it's only been used a handful of times as a direct comparison to Brexit. The only site I use on that list is The Guardian and I've never seen them use Bremain until clicking on that link.
This was the first time I've used Wiktionary.

It is a buzzword, far less established than Brexit and very recent. I first saw it in The Times. Not this particular article, I haven't been a subscriber in a while, it might've been in April.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ec...agon-7rbtc77cx

The Metro has used it as well:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/30/brexit...-poll-5851366

This lot goes further and refers to "Bremainers"

http://m.thisislocallondon.co.uk/new...on_exhibition
Old 06-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #30
Freak
on a Leash

All these links don't change the fact I've never heard it before, Mikko