ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 06-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #91
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it
Old 06-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #92
Mikko

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7101311.html

Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #93
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Take the dog for a walk. Wait for him to do his business. Wait for his excrement to hardened in the sun. There's some tough shit for you - you're gonna need that.

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #94
collinwho
Lord, beer me strength.

Top American Google searches after the 2016 election:

- Who is Donald Trump?
- What does the President do?
Quote:
Sugarskull said... View Post
Marry me.
collinwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #95
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
NotFSI, LonerMatt, I hope you're watching The Last Leg.
Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can keep silent. The only way to gain approval is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me. Someone somewhere soon will take care of you, I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart. Houses as ruins and gardens as weeds. Why do anything when you can forget everything? I stare at the sky and it leaves me blind. I close my eyes and this is yesterday.

Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 15th July 2016
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #96
Mikko

Radically, Scotland's new stance is for ABEW (Anyone But not England or Wales) in EURO 2016 instead of the previous ABE.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #97
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #98
ThudMaker
Still From the Block

It's shocking the ebassist intelligentsia were on the loosing side of this vote.

Post of the Day Award - Allan 1/13/2011
Joint Winners of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!! - 7/9/2010
ThudMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #99
ThudMaker
Still From the Block

Quote:
p1gg1e said... View Post
I wasnt expecting a preview of Trumps election....
You didn't see a preview hopefully.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #100
ThudMaker
Still From the Block

Quote:
brett said... View Post
That tweet is fantastic.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #101
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Location: Lying motionless on the ground clutching an empty bottle labelled 'IRONY'
ebassist doesn't have an intelligentsia. Not since rob bass was banned. There's now only team shitthink and team grouplib.
Quote:
Vanlatte said... View Post
It's honestly impossible to tell if you are really funny or a big dickhead.
Quote:
Thunderbroom said... View Post
Cite this.
Quote:
b-bottom said... View Post
I have no idea what 99 percent of the gobbledygook that you just posted means
Owner of an adorably viable set of genes

The literal mind is baffled by the ironic one, demanding explanations that only intensify the joke

Therein lies the secret strength of empires - they can afford the folly of constructed memories
NotFSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #102
Mikko

Quote:
ThudMaker said... View Post
That tweet is fantastic.
Every kid in Finland is taught the difference between Finnish and finish at a young age , so the joke is lame. The term is Fixit, anyway.

Not that it's very likely. The Finnish constitution says "Finland is a member of the European Union", and it's very difficult to change.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #103
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

British Lose Right To Claim That Americans Are Dumber

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #104
jasper383

Quote:
NotFSI said... View Post

UK likely to lose S&P AAA credit rating

To quote The Thick of It again, "It's like the break up of The Beatles, During the fall of the Roman Empire, while fucking Jordan's getting divorced from that bloke."
A cheaper pound will make exports more attractive .

I suspect some EU countries will end up suffering more than the UK from this as the whole EU gets called into question.

A bigger concern I think will be the rush into an already overpriced dollar. Something will have to give.
jasper383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #105
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #106
jonjohn
I'm back

jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #107
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Location: Lying motionless on the ground clutching an empty bottle labelled 'IRONY'
Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Old 06-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #108
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Senior figures in remain campaign say they were 'hobbled' by No 10

Quote:
Infighting has erupted inside the defeated Britain Stronger in Europe campaign, with senior figures saying Conservatives on the campaign team repeatedly blocked it from making personal attacks on Michael Gove and Boris Johnson.

They said that, until near the end of the campaign, Downing Street was paralysed by fear of “blue on blue” attacks. Cameron is understood to have blocked an attack ad – a pastiche of the party’s 2015 general election poster which showed Ed Miliband tucked inside the breast pocket of Alex Salmond. The ad for which all the artwork was prepared showed Johnson inside the top pocket of Nigel Farage.

“We were hobbled in what we were allowed to do by No 10. They were sure they were going to win, and their chief interest was putting the Conservative party back together. There was a huge reluctance to attack Boris. A campaign that cannot personalise an attack is fighting with one hand behind its back,” said a senior campaign insider.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #109
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Thousands Of British Refugees Make Dangerous Journey Across The Irish Sea
Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #110
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Old 06-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #111
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Old 06-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #112
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
Life imitates art

Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #113
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

This whole thing was great for the lulz. I haven't laughed so hard when scrolling imgur in forever.
burdizzos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #114
niomosy

Now we just need the GBP to drop further so I can get some G&G shoes at a better price

In all seriousness, though, damn. The EU's already looking at a quick exit for the UK, hoping it will ease market problems.

WINNER of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award 8/8/2006

Blog
niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #115
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Farage - "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."
Old 06-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #116
NotFSI
I have ham at my place

Article 50 and the start of a political stalemate

Quote:
Not all problems have solutions. And the political problem now caused by the decisive Leave vote in the UK does not lend itself to any straightforward solution in practice.

Part of this is because there was never a good objective reason for the referendum in practice, and part is because the referendum did not have any legal effect. It was always an unnecessary referendum with no legal consequences. In legal terms, it was a glorified opinion poll.

But the lack of a solution comes primarily from the awkward legal situation in which the result now places the UK. To commence the procedure to leave the EU requires a notification under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. This contains the following provisions:

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.
2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.
3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.
A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.
You can see Article 50(3) imposes a hard two-year deadline on the exit process. Unless all the other Member States agree to extend the deadline, the one that sends the notification is out in two years. If there is a negotiated settlement that is a bonus for all concerned, but it is not a precondition.

It would appear that no UK politician, including those who headed the Leave campaign, is in any rush to press the “red button” of the Article 50 notification. The now departing Prime Minister David Cameron says it is up to a successor. One likely successor, Boris Johnson, says there is no haste. The red button will be positioned behind a locked door in Downing Street with a protective case placed on top. It is not going to get pressed by accident, if it is ever going to get used.

And what will happen without the button being pressed may be a political phoney war. It may well be that nothing happens at all: that the referendum result just hangs there, and things carry on an institutional and supranational basis much as before.

And there are events which could make it plausible that the notification button is never pressed. A second referendum — so the UK can vote the “right way” — may take place, after some new “deal”. Or the European Union may itself fall apart, as other Member States jostle for position, or even manoeuvre for their own or others’ departure.

The referendum result was of immense political importance, but there was no framework for the Leave result to have any direct knock-on effects. So there is now a period of waiting, where the various actors involved face off and try ever so hard not to blink.

In the meantime, the laws of the UK and EU are unaffected. The legal situation is the same today as it was yesterday. Nothing has been repealed. And even if the Article 50 notification is made, there are unlikely to be any fundamental legal changes until 2018 at the earliest.

Nothing can force the UK to press the notification button, and nothing can force the EU to negotiate until it is pressed. It is entirely a matter for a Member State to decide whether to make the notification and, if so, when. In turn, there is no obligation on the EU to enter into negotiations until the notification is made. There is therefore a stalemate. If this were game of chess, a draw would now be offered.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #117
niomosy

Phhht, latest Google trend for Brits is on relocation to Canada.
niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #118
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

I dropped some macroeconomics basics about this on some Facebook ignoramus earlier today. My post was liked by my college economics professor who is now the dean of the school of business of some midwest university. I felt quite smugly self satisfied.
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #119
jonjohn
I'm back

This is why you can't have nice things

jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:48 AM   #120
vladoicho

vladoicho is offline   Reply With Quote