ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #31
b-bottom

If I remember correctly we played it a half step down and it was still hard as hell to pull off

NEVER TRUST A BIG BUTT AND A SMILE

Hudson Hawk > Donnie Darko

Bands
Mass Driver

Appalachian Surf Team
b-bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #32
Thunderbroom
Vulture of Culture

Been bandless for a year. BUT, have played a gig with some old bandmates, got together with my most recent band drummer and another guitarist, and attempted to regroup my last band.

I'm kinda getting the itch but it's not bothersome enough to itch. Will likely get together with my old drummer and that guitarist again. Just need to dial the guitarist back. He likes playing this wickedly complicated stuff and refuses to actually gig.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #33
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Thunderbroom said... View Post
refuses to actually gig.
Then why rehearse?

My YouTube Channel

Standards: Better when low. - BottomHeavyKate

"Whack shitter closet" is a phrase that needs to go somewhere. - ec437
Croissant Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #34
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Quote:
Croissant Seven said... View Post
Then why rehearse?
I mean I find a lot of enjoyment in playing for the sake of playing. I can get that.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #35
funkee1

Quote:
Then why rehearse?
Right? You guys have band members who will rehearse, but won't gig! I have band members who will gig, but can't manage to rehearse! :idk:
funkee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #36
cdb

Send a message via AIM to cdb
Quote:
Then why rehearse?
You aren't actually rehearsing, you are just playing the same songs over and over for the hell of it. Rehearsing, to me, sounds like there is a performane you are working toward.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #37
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
I mean I find a lot of enjoyment in playing for the sake of playing. I can get that.
I have difficulty doing most things for the sake of simply doing them, if there is another stop further on down the line. It's like fucking without busting; feels alright but after a while it's just friction and making weird faces.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #38
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
funkee1 said... View Post
Right? You guys have band members who will rehearse, but won't gig! I have band members who will gig, but can't manage to rehearse! :idk:
I would rather play 100% of all shows with no rehearsals, than play even one rehearsal without working on booking shows. There is no glory in chronic masturbation, which is a powerful lesson metaphorically AND literally.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #39
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Quote:
I have difficulty doing most things for the sake of simply doing them, if there is another stop further on down the line. It's like fucking without busting; feels alright but after a while it's just friction and making weird faces.
I play for myself, for the act of doing. If it's in front of a crowd, that's even better, but I can just play and find satisfaction in that. Different strokes, yo.
Reverend179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 AM   #40
t3ch
cucklord 9000

I mean I've enjoyed the few gigs I've had and all, but just playing with my bandmates was usually fun regardless. some songs were fun to jam in, others had fun parts to play, etc.

you probably never listen to the albums repeatedly or watch the same movie again, either.

t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:00 AM   #41
zachoff

You don't quit playing music because you get old. You get old because you quit playing music.
zachoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 AM   #42
Kindness
Full Blown Lobstrosity

Quote:
I would rather play 100% of all shows with no rehearsals, than play even one rehearsal without working on booking shows. There is no glory in chronic masturbation, which is a powerful lesson metaphorically AND literally.
Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
I play for myself, for the act of doing. If it's in front of a crowd, that's even better, but I can just play and find satisfaction in that. Different strokes, yo.
I would be happy to create new music once a week with my band in one of our houses and never actually gig. For me, writing and creating and playing with my friends is fun. Gigging is not.
Kindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #43
zachoff

Quote:
Kindness said... View Post
I would be happy to create new music once a week with my band in one of our houses and never actually gig. For me, writing and creating and playing with my friends is fun. Gigging is not.
Love the creation process. Also love the display.
zachoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:20 AM   #44
Haico
My Bass In Your Face

Gigging is not the only method to display the musical creativity. You could record, right?
Can't be edited by Zamfir : Today at 09:48 PM.

Ex-president of the club with the really long name. IWLP is prez now!

"I didn't think we accepted Dutch opinions around here." - sheepdog

"haico, stop being so european..." - spezzyos
Haico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:25 AM   #45
vladoicho

Yeah, but it's much better to bask in the undying love of your rabid fans!
vladoicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 AM   #46
Haico
My Bass In Your Face

/\
Undying love of fans is overrated.

Quote:
b-bottom said... View Post
Damn that's pretty impressive.

I was in a metal band a million years ago that covered the Trooper. I played bass and did the vocals. It was stupid hard to do and it never ended up sounding very good.....for a variety of reasons

I won't be able to do that either.

The 2 most difficult things to get Iron Maiden songs to sound right is the vocals and the bass. I won't recommend giving the same person doing both vocal AND bass duties. Those vocals need to wail and soar like it his a life of its own! I have much respect you used to do that.

Bass is doable for most songs really. I "cheat" by doing 3-finger triplets during 2 or 3 songs. Even then, all you need to do is be in shape to play 2 hours a night. The previous bassist of this band was okay, I guess. But what the drummer told me, is that he wasn't able to play the bit more technical stuff. So they had to build the set list around his capabilities. You can't play Rime of the Ancient without the middle bass arpeggios, right?

The previous guy left because he was too focussed on money. He wanted bars to pay 700-800 Euros, while the other guys were just happy to play for 50 Euro a head. The drummer was very happy when I joined the band. Now the band can take on about every Maiden song. It's the 30th birthday of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son in 2018. We want to play the whole album as a tribute. We already play half of the album, so it must be doable. I'm especially looking forward to playing The Clairvoyant and Infinite Dreams.

Another thing I noticed to get the songs to sound right is for the guitarists to stay away from a modern high gain guitar tone. Less gain is more. This is even more true if you have 3 geetards in the band. Another thing: the Iron Maiden gallop can quickly turn into a Slayer gallop if you play it too fast. It sounds best if you're a bit lazy... slightly behind the beat.

Quote:
What kind of turnout do you get for your shows?
Pretty decent. I know we could do a bit better if we would promote our gigs better. We're not in it for the eternal fame or for the pay. We play to pay respect to Iron Maiden and to have a blast with friends from time to time.

Coming Saturday is a sold out show. There were 250 tickets availabe. I think this will be our biggest show since I joined.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 AM   #47
vladoicho

Quote:
Haico said... View Post
/\
Undying love of fans is overrated.
It's more of a "you fuckers are down there, and I'm up here, and you gave me money to watch me touch myself on stage, so I'm obviously better than you in any and every imaginable way, now bow down and blow me, and you can buy me beer after that" kind of thing.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 AM   #48
Haico
My Bass In Your Face

Exactly that! I'm over that kind off stuff. It got old.
I now have a pair of kids and all...
Old 03-31-2017, 05:05 AM   #49
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
Kindness said... View Post
For me, writing and creating and playing with my friends is fun. Gigging is not.
I would KILL to have bandmates that treated me like a friend. I've been searching for that since Myth Lab split up almost 8 years ago.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 AM   #50
b-bottom

I've played with people over the years who never wanted to play out and it drove me nuts. The end goal for me is to play the music that we make in front of a crowd.
If I wanted to just create something just for the sake of creating I would go back to focusing on illustration and painting
Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 AM   #51
vladoicho

Quote:
I would KILL to have bandmates that treated me like a friend. I've been searching for that since Myth Lab split up almost 8 years ago.
I couldn't even imagine playing in a situation where I don't see my bandmates as friends...

10-15 (or more) years ago I might have considered playing with any type of asshole for the sake of GREAT MUSIC or somesuch nonsense. Not any more though.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:25 AM   #52
Croissant Seven
Actually George Soros

Quote:
vladoicho said... View Post
I couldn't even imagine playing in a situation where I don't see my bandmates as friends...

10-15 (or more) years ago I might have considered playing with any type of asshole for the sake of GREAT MUSIC or somesuch nonsense. Not any more though.
I'm taking what I can get at this point.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:25 AM   #53
Haico
My Bass In Your Face

Being in a band with assholes doesn't work, but you don't HAVE to be friends to make a fun and succesful band. Actually, I thinks it's even better if the band members don't know eachother before the band started. It saves a lot of drama. People are less prone to bring personal problems to the band.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #54
lug

Quote:
Haico said... View Post
Being in a band with assholes doesn't work, but you don't HAVE to be friends to make a fun and succesful band. Actually, I thinks it's even better if the band members don't know eachother before the band started. It saves a lot of drama. People are less prone to bring personal problems to the band.
Some great music has come from people who hated each other with a passion!
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #55
mlwarriner
Cyclo-Masochist

Quote:
this, exactly precisely this. I like to write songs and refine songs and play music with my friends, but I absolutely LOVE being on stage. i'll stick with a band as long as there's shows on the horizon, but in a situation where one or more members flatly refuse to ever even consider playing out? fuck this, I'm gone.
mlwarriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #56
ModmanQ6
Band

So Diamond Heist (Neil Diamond Tribute) is going strong and is booking up for the summer/fall season. This has become my main gigging band.

Guardrail released our first CD around Christmas and is practicing for our first live set in years.

I've been sitting in with another band - The Jangling Reinharts - which is a really fun gig because it takes me out of my comfort zone and we usually play a dozen songs I don't know and have to fake, plus lots of great songs that you remember but no one plays any more...

"the stories we made up to replace what we forgot"-W Freed
"You, sir, are a genius!!!!!!!!! Thanks!" - Basshunter 5/1/07
"Dang, this is some of the wisest bit of information I think I have ever seen here! Well said." - Vanlatte 6/5/08
Urban Dictionary Entry Coordinator for the Kingdom of Suck - so ordained by Lug on 10/19/06
ModmanQ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #57
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

Quote:
The end goal for me is to play the music that we make in front of a crowd.
Exactly.

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #58
b-bottom

Quote:
ModmanQ6 said... View Post
So Diamond Heist (Neil Diamond Tribute) is going strong and is booking up for the summer/fall season. This has become my main gigging band.
What kind of venues do you play with that band and how does it go over?
Old 04-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #59
moogieotter
Shiny Happy Person

Send a message via AIM to moogieotter
A guy messaged me from bandmix about playing in his R.E.M. tribute band. I asked him for a sample set list so I can learn a few songs to have a good try out. No reply yet. I read his bandmix profile and it's kinda interesting.

I asked my favorite and often most important question in these early messages "What happened to your last bass player?"

Thanks for letting me share.
moogieotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #60
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:
Added to your memoirs....

b00t named our band Milk Toast...

Innocent post from Kate.
Cocks come cock it all up.
Kate starts cursing.
Kate realizes that cocks are cocking her out of love.
Kate rides the wave.
Group hug.
t3ch says something racist.
www.cmkfinancialservices.com

BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote