ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 05-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Not a database issue - ASO, trying to fix something, screwed up something.

They weren't giving me the storage I'm supposed to have, so in adjusting that, they somehow screwed up the VPS. We're good at the moment, though I can't guarantee it won't go out again until it's fixed for good.

ASO is less satisfactory than previously.

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
Thanks for the update. Is it worth considering a new host if these problems are likely to be ongoing?
Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can keep silent. The only way to gain approval is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me. Someone somewhere soon will take care of you, I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart. Houses as ruins and gardens as weeds. Why do anything when you can forget everything? I stare at the sky and it leaves me blind. I close my eyes and this is yesterday.

Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 15th July 2016
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Thanks for the update. Is it worth considering a new host if these problems are likely to be ongoing?
It's something I'm thinking about. I got a deal by doing a 3-year price (and was willing to do so because they have a good rep and Allan had good experiences with them), but that's up for renewal this summer. I'm looking around. In particular, Amazon Lightsail may be promising.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Freak
on a Leash

Shout if you need us to make any kind of contribution.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
allan
arrogant pontificator

Quote:
King Kashue said... View Post
It's something I'm thinking about. I got a deal by doing a 3-year price (and was willing to do so because they have a good rep and Allan had good experiences with them), but that's up for renewal this summer. I'm looking around. In particular, Amazon Lightsail may be promising.
ASO has changed hands since I used them; they used to be the best of the best - not so much any more
Old 05-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
oldivor
waiting

If you know how to manage your own shit, OVH is hard to beat. You can get a decent VPS for pretty cheap and they don't fuck anything up. Of course, you have to manage your own server but that isn't very hard. Plus you can set up email and various other services easily. Hell, you might even get the chat up and working again...

What ever you do, please get an ssl cert... They're only like 10 dollars a year for both the domain and www subdomain.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
78pbass

Can we contribute some $$$ for your troubles?
Ask Pete Townsend what happens when you win the volume wars. Be sure to yell. – Craigv
"We had our dog's pentacles removed so he will stop roaming the neighborhood at night."-ezstep
"your dog had five acles? That's some dog. - Hasbeen
78pbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

Quote:
78pbass said... View Post
Can we contribute some $$$ for your troubles?
I don't think that'll be necessary at the moment, but I'll let you know if it is.

At this point, I need hosting for my professional websites anyway, so using that bandwidth and storage for the forum as well is a 'two birds/one stone' sort of thing. And if we migrate to lightsail, it appears the pricing is equivalent. If anything changes though, maybe.

I definitely may take some of the offers for database/tech help if we get more ambitious - if that happens, maybe we start a "buy the tech folks a pint" fund or something.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
oldivor
waiting

KK, not to sound like a broken record, but you really should at least check out OVH. I had a dedicated server with them for 4 or 5 years as well as various VPSs. When something is broken on their end (IME it rarely happens), they work fast (IIRC they have 24/7 support for all their data centers). The only problem I ever really had is when their pipeline got foobar'd but that was delt with swiftly. They have a hands off approach, where you are responsible for the software and they're responsible for the hardware, and it works very well. Plus they're cheaper than amazon... Just saying.
oldivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
King Kashue
A nice, close shave...

I'll definitely look at them. The ASO contract is up in roughly two months, so I've got time to comparison shop. OVH seems to take a more a la carte approach to pricing, so I'll have to see what features I need, what isn't needed, what they might have better options for, etc. A quick looks definitely suggests they've got the best price/core specs ratio.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
oldivor
waiting

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers has cheap dedi's too. OVH does the "big machines" and VPSs, and SYS does small and mid size dedis.

They have a nice one for 34 dollars... fuck me. I hate being poor.
oldivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
allan
arrogant pontificator

I see you found and took out the "all" link, boss - good on you
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #13
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

Quote:
allan said... View Post
I see you found and took out the "all" link, boss - good on you
No big loss there. I accidentally hit that on the "random thoughts" thread once. fuck me....

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Freak
on a Leash

Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post
No big loss there. I accidentally hit that on the "random thoughts" thread once. fuck me....
<points>

Jugghaid broke it!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 AM   #15
allan
arrogant pontificator

Oh - while I'm thinking about it, Rob - all the *files* in vB3 are unmodified; I found out early in the game that file hacks suck because you had to track and reinstall them with every upgrade. Any changes from stock vB3 are in the database, which means they're either a plugin (easily removed) or a template hack (easily reverted).

cheers -
Old 05-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Here in Shit Internet Speed Land, I liked the all link for threads with 5 pages or less.

Saved me a lot of reloading time. Especially if multi-quoting 2 or 3 posts across different pages.

Well that explains a lot: While the rest of the world is playing an "e" note, you're playing a schwa. -DevilRaysFan to lug

“There are thoughtless dilettanti or purblind worldlings who sometimes ask us: 'What is it that Britain and France are fighting for?' To this I answer: 'If we left off fighting, you would soon find out.'" -Winston Churchill
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
allan
arrogant pontificator

Quote:
Zamfir said... View Post
Here in Shit Internet Speed Land, I liked the all link for threads with 5 pages or less.

Saved me a lot of reloading time. Especially if multi-quoting 2 or 3 posts across different pages.
In your user CP you can set the default number of posts per page; default is 40, max is 200.

That oughtta fix things for you
Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #18
Zamfir
Hiding in my amygdala

Quote:
allan said... View Post
In your user CP you can set the default number of posts per page; default is 40, max is 200.

That oughtta fix things for you
I know but I don't want to do it all the time. Just targeted threads. Shit here in Nigeria is slow enough as it is.
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote