ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the best of ebassist...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
neddy

Drummer quit, no luck with CL, now what?

We advertised for a new drummer (originals band) in the local CL , but most respondents were guys who have not played in years, and want to "get back into it". When they listened to song samples, they chickened out. Our former drummer may have been a drama queen and alcoholic, but he sure as hell could play. None of the other local web sites have yielded any good prospects.

Anyone had luck finding band members using non-web-based means? I'm thinking the guitarist and I might be able to flush out a drummer by playing some of my band's songs at open mic and jam nights at the local clubs, and trying to network. We've had only a trickle of responses from hanging signs in the local music stores. I'd like to hit a few community college music dept. bulletin boards and see if we do better there. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

How do you guys do it?

TIA
neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Sloom
I'm the bass player.

Send a message via Skype™ to Sloom
Try posting some hand-made, printed flyers in some music stores, the library, local supermarket bulletin board. Do a funky layout with cut-out pictures from magazines, etc., and print copies. That's how we did it back in the day (80s-90s, before CL)! It worked then. Might be a novel approach that gets noticed. Just a stray thought.

There's also this kind of free on-line service- but I guess that's not what you're after (edit!).

Re-edited... all set now!

-The Grubs

Sloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Sugarskull
Seņora Member

we get ours entirely through networking. Sometimes you borrow a drummer for a while or split drummers with other bands, but eventually your name gets out there enough that people start calling you. Failing that, we moved to bigger centres with a larger pool of musicians to draw from.
Sugarskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
neddy

Quote:
Sloom said... View Post
Try posting some hand-made, printed flyers in some music stores, the library, local supermarket bulletin board. Do a funky layout with cut-out pictures from magazines, etc., and print copies. That's how we did it back in the day (80s-90s, before CL)! It worked then. Might be a novel approach that gets noticed. Just a stray thought.

There's also this kind of free on-line service- but I guess that's not what you're after (edit!).

Re-edited... all set now!

We may try any or all of these approaches. Thanks

Quote:
Sugarskull said... View Post
we get ours entirely through networking. Sometimes you borrow a drummer for a while or split drummers with other bands, but eventually your name gets out there enough that people start calling you. Failing that, we moved to bigger centres with a larger pool of musicians to draw from.

I'm not sure why our band leader hasn't done this, he's been active in the local scene more-or-less continuously since the '70s and knows people who could probably help. I think the main issue is that he's VERY picky when it comes to drummers, and doesn't want to insult people he knows by letting them audition (or recommend someone they know) and then turning them down. His choosiness has served him well in the past, as in the '80s he ended up forming a locally famous goth band that consisted of him, a bass player and some MIDI gear in lieu of them finding a suitable drummer.
neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
perrydabassman
Willie - big pianist

I put my present band together with bandmix.com
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
ModmanQ6
Band

Mr. Midi don't drink or do drama that's for sure....

"the stories we made up to replace what we forgot"-W Freed
"You, sir, are a genius!!!!!!!!! Thanks!" - Basshunter 5/1/07
"Dang, this is some of the wisest bit of information I think I have ever seen here! Well said." - Vanlatte 6/5/08
Urban Dictionary Entry Coordinator for the Kingdom of Suck - so ordained by Lug on 10/19/06
ModmanQ6 is offline   Reply With Quote