ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the best of ebassist...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #31
bassplayer7770
bp770770707707000077707

It seems the new SB series is rather popular, and many seem to think the new alnico pickups are an upgrade compared to the old ceramic pickups. I haven't played a Carvin in years. :shrugs:
Gear: StingRay 5 HS, Yamaha BB3000MA, Hanewinckel Vintage Draken 5-String, Ibanez ATK305, Aguilar Tone Hammer, ART Pro Channel pre, Crown XLS 1500, LDS 15/6.5 cab, Turbo Tuner ST-200, Xotic Bass BB Pre, Aguilar Filter Twin, Demeter Compulator
bassplayer7770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
lug

Quote:
T. Alan Smith said... View Post
I really dig the Bunnies. Put some Nordies in there and you've got a winnah. Problem is- these days, they're not the bang for buck they once were.
This. there is a lot of competition in their price range that simply wasn't there in years back. My Bunny is one of my absolute favs but I may have gotten the cherry. It plays like butter, sounds amazing, and is very lightweight. The neck profile is-to-die-for!
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #33
+homas

Mine was mostly maple w/mahogany. Not the lightest flower of the bouquet. As much as I appreciated the design & materials, it just didn't offer what my EBMMs do.
+homas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #34
ezstep

Quote:
lug said... View Post
This. there is a lot of competition in their price range that simply wasn't there in years back....

Agreed. Go back 15 years ago, and there were no decent "mid-level" basses to be found. Everything was CHEAP (inexpensive...for obvious reasons) or EXPENSIVE. And Carvin sorta/kinda filled in this gap. For what I paid for mine at the time, I could have added another $3-400 and bought (another) 4-string Fender (they didn't offer 5-string, lefty). MTD, Yamaha, etc. - there simply wasn't a good $700 bass out there, not lefties.

Things have changed.
ezstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #35
+homas

Quote:
ezstep said... View Post
Agreed. Go back 15 years ago, and there were no decent "mid-level" basses to be found. Everything was CHEAP (inexpensive...for obvious reasons) or EXPENSIVE. And Carvin sorta/kinda filled in this gap. For what I paid for mine at the time, I could have added another $3-400 and bought (another) 4-string Fender (they didn't offer 5-string, lefty). MTD, Yamaha, etc. - there simply wasn't a good $700 bass out there, not lefties.

Things have changed.
This. Instead of going EBMM, I thought a Carvin would be a good way for me to test the boutique waters. The internet made it possible for folks like me to learn about builders like Skjold, Stamaugh(sp), Hanewinckel, Valenti, etc.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
bassplayer7770
bp770770707707000077707

Quote:
The internet made it possible for folks like me to learn about builders like Skjold, Stamaugh(sp), Hanewinckel, Valenti, etc.
Speaking of Valenti, I just read today that he has lowered his prices by cutting out the middle man (dealers). He will now sell direct only.
bassplayer7770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #37
+homas

Quote:
bassplayer7770 said... View Post
Speaking of Valenti, I just read today that he has lowered his prices by cutting out the middle man (dealers). He will now sell direct only.
Huh. I thought he had always dealt direct.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #38
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

Quote:
Ace of Bass said... View Post
I still think the Bunny basses have the best looking upper horns of any bass.
Blech.... too thin. I like mine to have some girth to it.

Some of their basses are nice to look at. I've never played one.
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #39
+homas

Quote:
SDM said... View Post
Blech.... too thin. I like mine to have some girth to it..
Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #40
lug

Quote:
SDM said... View Post
Blech.... too thin. I like mine to have some girth to it.

Quote:

lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
jeff7bass
banned for being a nitwit

The new Carvin PU's on the SB and B basses are excellent. Bass Gear magazine's bass tech calls the SB4000 the best active thousand dollar bass available in the market today. He's no pushover either, he's basically the Simon Cowell of bass reviewers. I have a new B40 on order and will post pics when I get it.
jeff7bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #42
jeff7bass
banned for being a nitwit

Saw a decked out used Carvin SB5000 at GC for 1699.00 last week. Re-sale value of their basses is apparently going up, as it should be.
jeff7bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
cliffordskc

cheap sung

The leading area of the issue are generally High heeled pumps which are fitted with a heel height of around 3" or much more and also the only folks who are likely to reveal this would be the shoe makers Nothing wrong with this just the way it was 28, 2012 Cheap Oakley sunglasses lens technology general,cheap sunglasses, iridium coatings, polarized light, color change 4 types, but polarization may iridium,cheap oakley, plutonic lens material patent material couponsWilman said: "I bought Elheba out of a seller here last time,cheap oakley sunglasses 15,and the longtermplan is to send him juvenile hurdling hurdlingTrackandfield event,cheap oakleys 51, a footrace over a series of obstacles called hurdles"The Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture is the course that students start off in," he said He said she has found new fulltime work in customer service, with no connection to bookkeepingThe 45th annual Annie Oakley Days pays tribute to Darke County own whatOakley "Little Sure Shot" showcased her talents as a markswoman for years as part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show60 ounce He was, his backers argued (and at first they included President Sarkozy of France) just the sort of glamorous figure,oakleys cheap, recognized the world over,oakley sunglasses cheap, who would win attention for the EU and enable it to punch its weight in world affairs Annie Oakley has a more compact plant habit,wholesale sunglasses 61, growing about 3 feet tall
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #44
SDM
Flightless Manicotti

Does this ^^^^ spamming technique actually work?
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote