ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the best of ebassist...

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #31
brett

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
They're completely opposite sounding pickups.
I don't know about completely opposite. I have two sets of Barts and a set of Fralin pickups. My Barts MIGHT be a little darker sounding, but nothing drastic, and they still sound like jazz pickups. It might depend on what Barts you end up getting. I don't know what model I have off hand, but I know I got the ones that are supposed to be a little brighter.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #32
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Quote:
solderjunkie said... View Post
At least the Fralins are actually Jazz pickups
Quote:
brett said... View Post
So are Barts
Hum-canceling, blade magnets, and no exposed polepieces...

No. They're. Not. Jazz. Pickups.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
brett

Quote:
Hum-canceling
Mine are actually single coils, so they aren't hum-canceling.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Quote:
brett said... View Post
It might depend on what Barts you end up getting.
Ahh durr.

t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #35
Renfield
Wordclock

Quote:
brett said... View Post
I don't know about completely opposite. I have two sets of Barts and a set of Fralin pickups. My Barts MIGHT be a little darker sounding, but nothing drastic, and they still sound like jazz pickups. It might depend on what Barts you end up getting. I don't know what model I have off hand, but I know I got the ones that are supposed to be a little brighter.
Mine were the dark or bassy version. I think the soapbars in my jazz now are the bright ones tho because I have to dial back so much treble out of things, and it's the first time I've ever experienced that with a Bart. It's very possible that they are much more traditional jazz sounding then the bassy ones.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #36
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Quote:
Renfield said... View Post
Mine were the dark or bassy version. I think the soapbars in my jazz now are the bright ones tho because I have to dial back so much treble out of things, and it's the first time I've ever experienced that with a Bart. It's very possible that they are much more traditional jazz sounding then the bassy ones.
Are you running them parallel or series? (the coils in each pickup)

I tried one, then the other.

Parallel was darker, clearer, and slightly weaker.

Series was bright, a little muddy, and stronger.

Razzle!
solderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #37
Renfield
Wordclock

Quote:
Are you running them parallel or series? (the coils in each pickup)

I tried one, then the other.

Parallel was darker, clearer, and slightly weaker.

Series was bright, a little muddy, and stronger.

Razzle!
Parallel was darker??? Shit, that's the exact opposite of the Bart jazzes I have in my V Deluxe. I pulled it into Series when I wanted that added bass boost.

I've got these wired stock from the Hwy 1 plate, just swapped out the pups as is. I'd assume that's parallel, is it not? If it's going to get more bright with series, no bloody way am I trying that out.

EDIT: Wait... do you mean the coils within each pup? I honestly don't even remember if they were 4 conductor, I probably just put them in blindly, in parallel, without even thinking about it. Maybe I need Series pups that are wired parallel to each other. Hmm... must investigate this.
Renfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #38
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Renfield, re: your avatar... are you ramping up for an upcoming release of something I don't know about?
t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #39
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Quote:
Renfield said... View Post
Parallel was darker??? Shit, that's the exact opposite of the Bart jazzes I have in my V Deluxe. I pulled it into Series when I wanted that added bass boost.

I've got these wired stock from the Hwy 1 plate, just swapped out the pups as is. I'd assume that's parallel, is it not? If it's going to get more bright with series, no bloody way am I trying that out.

EDIT: Wait... do you mean the coils within each pup? I honestly don't even remember if they were 4 conductor, I probably just put them in blindly, in parallel, without even thinking about it. Maybe I need Series pups that are wired parallel to each other. Hmm... must investigate this.
I mean the coils within each pickup. I think the leads should have all been snipped when you got them. You would have had to solder and tape to put them in-series.

I can't remember which way I tried "last" before sending them your way
solderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #40
Renfield
Wordclock

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
Renfield, re: your avatar... are you ramping up for an upcoming release of something I don't know about?
No, but today was supposed to be a big ass release for SW on Blu Ray I just learned. Their site had a countdown to release on today, Star Wars day, and apparently they failed to launch the page, it''s just a white screen.

I've got a buddy who's sitting there refreshing the screen every 2 minutes waiting for it.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #41
Renfield
Wordclock

Quote:
I mean the coils within each pickup. I think the leads should have all been snipped when you got them. You would have had to solder and tape to put them in-series.

I can't remember which way I tried "last" before sending them your way
Honestly, I forget. If they were taped, I put them in as is, if they were exposed, I looked it up and did it parallel.

I can't access my soldering iron currently, it's buried in the hall closet under boxes, but I've got a growing list of work to do under a few pickguard hoods that I need to get to soon. I'll pop that one open when I do and see what's going on and try some experiments.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #42
Pickdust
Senior Wences

I have a Warmoth J with Barts and it sounds better than any J I've ever owned.

Loud Gas and Electric
Pickdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #43
cdb

Send a message via AIM to cdb
Quote:
Pickdust said... View Post
I have a Warmoth J with Barts and it sounds better than any J I've ever owned.
Do you know what set of Barts is in there?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #44
Pickdust
Senior Wences

Quote:
cdb said... View Post
Do you know what set of Barts is in there?
Not off-hand but I'll look tonight and post tomorrow.
Pickdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #45
cdb

I know this is keeping you guys awake at night, in cold sweats, so I installed dimarzio ultra jazz pups, swapped in a 500 k pot in the neck pup ( it's defective, I had it lying around, it only works in the "all the way on"position, and swapped in a 500 k pot in the tone position, with a green capacitor thingy, and finally, I can start to hear the true voice of this bass. And it's fucking awesome. I plan on buying all new 500k pots for all soon, and I think this bass will finally sing like it should, unless i fuck up something else. I hope you all rest easy tonight, knowing that my fretless 4 banger is growing up.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #46
ezstep

Good to know!

I have had long discussions (emails) with Skip on what pups I want, but in the end, I really just have to trust him. But, lots of room to change out if needed.
ezstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #47
Ric N Backer

Quote:
cdb said... View Post
Who has Barts in their J bass?

Mr. Nyswonger, I seem to remember that you perhaps might?

I am unhappy with the MIJ pups in the fretless i just built. Gigged with it last week and found the tonal options to be yucky. I like the Barts in my 5 string fretless.
I was considering them for the J bass defret / refinish I am doing. I really like the sound they have in the ibanez SR 500 I am thinking of picking up.

second choice and most likely I will put Dimarzios in the J....
Ric N Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #48
bnyswonger
ribbed for her pleasure

I've never been a Dimarzio fan, but if you like 'em...
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #49
ModmanQ6
Band

...and I was expecting a thread about how cool barts are in Chuck's Jazz...and I get Dimarzios.... sigh...

"the stories we made up to replace what we forgot"-W Freed
"You, sir, are a genius!!!!!!!!! Thanks!" - Basshunter 5/1/07
"Dang, this is some of the wisest bit of information I think I have ever seen here! Well said." - Vanlatte 6/5/08
Urban Dictionary Entry Coordinator for the Kingdom of Suck - so ordained by Lug on 10/19/06
ModmanQ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #50
cdb

Quote:
bnyswonger said... View Post
I've never been a Dimarzio fan, but if you like 'em...
Quote:
ModmanQ6 said... View Post
...and I was expecting a thread about how cool barts are in Chuck's Jazz...and I get Dimarzios.... sigh...
sorry to disappoint you guys... i was confused by the many flavors of barts for J bass, and i wanted something a little more "classic J" sounding. These dimarzios are a huge improvement (to my ears) over the MIJ fenders
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #51
cliffordskc

cheap oakl

You don need to turn them over when you bake them on a rack If they were asked if they think that on demand abortion should be used as a fix for OOPS I made a mistake, I think more people would be in agreement They obviously enjoy it and they see it as good fun and of value See my first sentence Talking to people individually,oakleys ch,cheap oakley sunglasses, it would seem like cool is a very personalized quality, in reality however, our entire society has aspects that they look for when classifying someone as coolThe Australian goalkeeper was keeping his side in the game in the opening exchanges and was called upon once more to tip Vaz Te's low shot around the post: Action of proteolytic enzymes on collagen Tree art faces come in a variety of expressions including: whimsical, animal,cheap oakley, team sports, gnome, comic forest tree faces and other musthave realistic face decorations that will breath new life into your backyard Despite their considerable ability as fighters, the Indians proved only periodic obstacles in the westward movement"In a little more than a week,oakley sunglasses cheap,cheap oakleys 02, Oakley,cheap oakleys, also known on YouTube as "Geriatric 1927,oakley sunglasses cheap 07," became the most subscribed to user on the siteSimply click on the lettering name just below the image (not on the image itself as that will open an ad) and the webcam will open in a new larger window
Old 06-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
LanEvo
Ottoman

I've had Bart J-J pickups in a couple of basses:

Pedulla Buzz (4-string fretless)
Leduc U-Bass (5-string fretless)
Custom neck-thru bass (5-string fretted)

They have less of the nasal "honk" and high-end "clack" of typical J-J pickups. It's a mellower and more balanced sound to my ears. I like them.
LanEvo is offline   Reply With Quote