ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the best of ebassist...

Old 07-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

How to avoid getting ripped off on the internet

I get about 2 or 3 requests a month from people asking me to help them track down someone who has ripped them off on a transaction on eBay, HC, Bassgear, etc. I'm more than happy to help out, but the one thing I have noticed is that a lot of people don't protect themselves as much as they could. Here's a little checklist to go through that I posted over on the Dudepit that can help you guys avoid a lot of grief when doing a deal with someone you don't know.

In the future, I hope everyone here checks out people before they do business with them. A lot of you guys here buy and sell a lot of gear, and if you know the person...great. But if not make sure you get a home phone# a work phone # a cell phone# home address etc. check out the info too. Call the person. If you think they gave you a cell# as a home or work # - check it out here:
www.fonefinder.net

It will tell you if it's a land line or a cell and what city it goes to.

Reverse the phone#s and addresses they gave you to see where they go. Argali is really good for this. You can also reverse the address.

Just go to www.argali.com and download their program.

If you think the address is a mail drop you can check that out as well at http://www.finaid.com/scholarships/maildropsearch.phtml

If you want to find out who owns the address they give you to send payment to you can also go to
http://www.netronline.com/public_records.htm

Select the state and county of the address. A lot of them have online databases, but you can call the tax assessor as well and find out who owns that property.

These are just a few of the free online resouces you can use to protect yourself and verify the information the seller gives you is accurate.

Ask for references from other people they have done business with. If I'm shelling out $100 for an effect pedal or $3000 for a bass, I want to know if the person is honest or not,

Make sure the info they give you checks out before you give up any of your hard earned cash. An honest seller won't be offended in the least when you ask them for this info.

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
ModmanQ6
Band

Excellent info! Thanks Juggs!!

"the stories we made up to replace what we forgot"-W Freed
"You, sir, are a genius!!!!!!!!! Thanks!" - Basshunter 5/1/07
"Dang, this is some of the wisest bit of information I think I have ever seen here! Well said." - Vanlatte 6/5/08
Urban Dictionary Entry Coordinator for the Kingdom of Suck - so ordained by Lug on 10/19/06
ModmanQ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Thor
Fringe Tunatic

Juggs, I have seen this on the 'Pit and it is still stickied in the Classifieds at TB, and I have read it more than once. It is good advice.

Some people are way too trusting. I had a Pitter sell me a bass one time, and actually shipped it to me before receiving the payment. Fortunately for him, I am honest, but that it certainly not a good general policy. I don't know if he even bothered to check me out.

I have also done the other things suggested, required a physical address if a PO box is involved and a verifiable phone number. I am not a real trusting soul unless I know the person, or someone who does. Fortunately, in the bass community it has been easier to check a person's bona fides on a TB or Pit transaction because of the degrees of separation being reduced.

I avoid private sales on Ebay, though I did purchase a Casady bass from there. I only did that because I was able to verify the seller was an employee of a reputable music dealer in the Midwest.

Thanks again for reposting this, it is no less timely now than when you first put it up.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
dogman
swollen member

Question

Excellent post Jugghaid,thanks for doing this!!
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Tucson Bass Player

I Know You Hear....

I know you hear a lot of bad things about PayPal but I love them. If you read the "operator manual" The buyer has a lot of protection and sellers do to if just make sure it is a confirmed address. And you can print your shipping address right off the PayPal program getting you a smoking deal on UPS which is going to be the way to go on higher priced items. Very secure!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
bassesofalessergod
Captain Downer

O propheta, certe penis tuus cælum versus erectus est
bassesofalessergod is offline   Reply With Quote