ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the best of ebassist...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Ace of Bass
The Shores of Hell

Red face Changing Dip-8 Dual Op Amps--is there an audible difference?

Seems to be a common upgrade in audio circles, just swapping out the stock op amps for another one.

It would be an extremely simple mod (assuming there's a socket), and most op amps cost less than one dollar, many under 50 cents.
Some articles on the web seem sensible, with comments like "They're all slightly different, play around and see if you find one that sounds better", while other people seem to imply changing the single op-amp chip can make a Boss DS-1 sound like a Mesa Recifier.

And then, of course, there's the audiophile crowd. Here's a guy who swapped a 30 cent LF535 with an over $100 chip and thinks it's worthwhile.
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/opamp.htm

Anyone done this? Opinions? Is it really worth trying on on some pedals or preamps?
I'm not exactly the kind of person who believes that extending the frequency response from from 10MHz to 100MHz really improves my basses treble tone. But I could see some benefit to a $3 chip instead of a $0.30 chip in my preamp. So where would I start? Just order a bunch of compatible chips in my price range from mouser? There are hundreds of these DIP-8 op amps, all interchangable... what specs indicate one might sound good? Mosfet, Jfet, etc?
There's no shortage of places on the internet to get your bass related questions answered for free. Sure, you're going to have to listen to some condescending prick either way, but at least Kindness doesn't ask for money in return.
Ace of Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
PaulyWally

Quote:
Ace of Bass said... View Post
I'm not exactly the kind of person who believes that extending the frequency response from from 10MHz to 100MHz really improves my basses treble tone. But I could see some benefit to a $3 chip instead of a $0.30 chip in my preamp. So where would I start? Just order a bunch of compatible chips in my price range from mouser? There are hundreds of these DIP-8 op amps, all interchangable... what specs indicate one might sound good? Mosfet, Jfet, etc?
There is a lot more to it than an extended frequency response. Two big specs you want to look at for in audio applications are 'slew rate' and 'common mode rejection ratio' (CMRR).

My suggestion would be to read up on those (and other specs you feel are important), find out what's in your current pedal(s), and then start buying op-amps based on what you've found and what you think you would like to try to change.

Just make sure that all of the pin-outs and power requirements are compatible. Not all 8-pin op-amps are swappable like that.

Ampeg B3 Combo (150W)
Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0
Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 (8 Ω)
Dr Bass 2x12 (8 Ω)

PM me for details.
PaulyWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Most times you can get better ops, but the tone difference is negligible. I can get the same effect by adjusting my tone stack, or changing speaker placement, or changing input impedence.

I really despise audiophiles. Those fuckers just take it too far.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
PaulyWally

Quote:
solderjunkie said... View Post
Most times you can get better ops, but the tone difference is negligible. I can get the same effect by adjusting my tone stack, or changing speaker placement, or changing input impedence.

I really despise audiophiles. Those fuckers just take it too far.
I tend to agree with you in general. But I disagree in this case.

I'm not necessarily one for swapping out op-amps. But that is the heart-and-soul of the pedal's pre-amp.

Changing all your 1/4" pedal jumper cables to Lava cables is going too far. But for < $1.00, swapping out an op-amp has a far greater potential, dollar-for-dollar, than most anything else the DIY consumer can do to improve the sound.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Quote:
PaulyWally said... View Post
I tend to agree with you in general. But I disagree in this case.

I'm not necessarily one for swapping out op-amps. But that is the heart-and-soul of the pedal's pre-amp.

Changing all your 1/4" pedal jumper cables to Lava cables is going too far. But for < $1.00, swapping out an op-amp has a far greater potential, dollar-for-dollar, than most anything else the DIY consumer can do to improve the sound.
I dig it. I've swapped a few, but the components I bought were so close in spec to the original that the difference was barely audible. I guess if you had a really shit original op, then a swap could be beneficial. I mean we're not talking about a Behringer pedal, are we?
solderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
lug

Quote:
PaulyWally said... View Post

Changing all your 1/4" pedal jumper cables to Lava cables is going too far.
Totally depends on if the copper is wrapped clockwise or counter-clockwise with respect to the rotation of the earth.
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
PaulyWally

Quote:
I dig it. I've swapped a few, but the components I bought were so close in spec to the original that the difference was barely audible. I guess if you had a really shit original op, then a swap could be beneficial. I mean we're not talking about a Behringer pedal, are we?
Yeah. As I was typing one of my previous responses I kept thinking, "what pedal manufacturer would use such a low-quality op-amp that it would make that big of a difference?"

But... then I thought... it's cheap, and could be more of a learning experience than anything else.

Quote:
lug said...
Totally depends on if the copper is wrapped clockwise or counter-clockwise with respect to the rotation of the earth.
But isn't that also dependent on which hemisphere you're in?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
L. Ron Hoover
Slidey McGee

You'd be surprised at the crappy op-amps pedal and/or amp manufacturers use. Swapping op-amps with better ones can improve sonic performance but more often than not, it doesn't. However, you can't just swap op-amps willy-nilly. If you put a modern high bandwidth op-amp in a circuit designed for a low-bandwidth one without paying attention to power supply bypassing it might turn your preamp circuit into a really good HF oscillator. Seriously, I've seen situations where high end op-amps swapped in for crappy ones have gone ballistically unstable.
L. Ron Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
Ace of Bass
The Shores of Hell

Well, out of curiosity, I just checked my beloathed and despised DOD Supra Distortion, and it uses two 4560D JRC op-amps, currently going for 39 cents a piece at Mouser.

It also uses a Motorola MC14007UBCP (CD4007) 14-pin chip. This seems to be primarily a logic chip, a "Dual Complementary Pair Plus Inverter", though it does say on the data sheet that it can be used as an extremely high impedance amplifier: The MC14007UB multi–purpose device consists of three N–channel and three P–channel enhancement mode devices
I thought this was a rather odd thing to use in a pedal, so I checked the schematic to see what exactly it does, and how the audio might be improved with a replacement...

...This chip is responsible for engaging the LED light when you step on the pedal's switch. Rather overkill I'd think, but whatever.

Anyway, I'm rather curious to know what kind of a different sound could be made by changing the op-amps to something a bit more classy...
But I'm not interested enough to do it, because it's a DOD FX55. I'd have better luck with the sound by just rubbing this along all the componants:
Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 AM   #10
Ace of Bass
The Shores of Hell

I think my favorite op-amp review was were a guy sent out his amp to have the op-amps changed to boutique ones (like $10/each) in a tube headphone amp. At the same time he also had his electrolytic capacitors swapped. Since the caps needed to "form" properly, he left the amp on for a week before using it. He swears the op-amps sound much better than old ones--apparently based on how he remembered them sounding 2 weeks beforehand. Not exactly a back-to-back test...
Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #11
solderjunkie
Deprecated

Quote:
Ace of Bass said... View Post
...This chip is responsible for engaging the LED light when you step on the pedal's switch. Rather overkill I'd think, but whatever.
Are you sure it's not part of the buffering circuit as well?
solderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
oldivor
take it easy

lol
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Ace of Bass
The Shores of Hell

Quote:
Are you sure it's not part of the buffering circuit as well?
It's a pretty simple schematic--there's only one wire as the output from that chip, and it just goes straight to three transistors. The first is a normal PNP transistor that turns on the LED. The second is a depletion JFET that bridges the input to the output, while the third is another depletion JFET that bridges the distorted signal to ground. So LED on = bridges open, LED off = Bridges open, bypassing the distortion. Very simple--the same thing could be done with a wire connected to the V+ through a resistor. I have no idea why they used that chip.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Ace of Bass
The Shores of Hell

Hah!
That's kind of a big difference.
I just noticed that schematic uses the MC1458 op amp (slew rate: 0.5v/us)
My pedal (newer model) uses the 4560D (Slew rate: 4.0v.us)