ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 07-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
funkee1

Gonna get meself a couple of birthday presents.....

I am caught up on all bills, and have a couple of high dollar gigs at the end of the month, beginning of next month, and of course my monthly check from the church, so I am gonna treat myself to these:

http://www.rondomusic.com/MENTORSCEbk.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/cl150cvtrds.html

They will help with my teaching and recording! The acoustic guitar I have now will be gifted to my niece, after some TLC,

I'm well-stocked on basses! When I get them all, I will share the new family portrait!
funkee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
collinwho
Lord, beer me strength.

Are you sure you trust a $60 acoustic? I got a Rondo bass years back. It was fine for a $100 bass, but it required a lot of parts swapped out to make it reliably usable. The nice thing about an electric bass is that all the key components are held on with screws and solder. Not the case for an acoustic guitar. I'd be immediately concerned about the bridge on either of those guitars. If it starts pulling out (super common issue on cheap acoustics, you basically have scrapwood, because the cost to fix that is 3x the cost of the guitar itself.
Quote:
Sugarskull said... View Post
Marry me.
collinwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
funkee1

Quote:
collinwho said... View Post
Are you sure you trust a $60 acoustic? I got a Rondo bass years back. It was fine for a $100 bass, but it required a lot of parts swapped out to make it reliably usable. The nice thing about an electric bass is that all the key components are held on with screws and solder. Not the case for an acoustic guitar. I'd be immediately concerned about the bridge on either of those guitars. If it starts pulling out (super common issue on cheap acoustics, you basically have scrapwood, because the cost to fix that is 3x the cost of the guitar itself.
If it plays ok, yeah! Remember, this is just going to be used for teaching purposes. I will be handing it to elementary and Middle school kids to show them how to play a chord, so I want something that i won't care if it gets dropped!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
collinwho
Lord, beer me strength.

At that price point, I would not feel comfortable counting on it to play ok. Even if it plays ok out of the box, I wouldn't count on it playing ok a year from now.
collinwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
b-bottom

I'm with Collin on this. You'd be much better off spending a little more for a Squire, Epi or Yamaha. That Rondo stuff is pretty cruddy

NEVER TRUST A BIG BUTT AND A SMILE

Hudson Hawk > Donnie Darko

Bands
Mass Driver

Appalachian Surf Team
b-bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
sub5ound
Big Member

Don't cheap out on acoustics. A lot more thought has to go into their design and construction to even get them to a playable level than $60 can cover. Just save a few more bucks and spring for a used Yamaha, Ibanez or Alvarez. Otherwise you're basically buying a wall hanger for your kids to paint after it the top de-laminates and the neck twists. It costs $100+ for a fret dress...how much time do you think they put into those frets in order to sell it for $60?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
sub5ound
Big Member

Not to mention, handing a kid an ultra crap facsimile of a guitar is one quick way to kill any notions of actually wanting to learn the damn thing.
sub5ound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
bassman1956
Chasing Jaffas

Location: they say if I'm nice, they'll unstrap my arms next week... but I don't trust them!
Quote:
funkee1 said... View Post
If it plays ok, yeah! Remember, this is just going to be used for teaching purposes. I will be handing it to elementary and Middle school kids to show them how to play a chord, so I want something that i won't care if it gets dropped!
Mark, the value of disposability is certainly an issue. BUT,
and I can't stress this enough,
BUT!
But the impact of the instrument you chose may be far more substantial than the few bucks you save.
I know you live your life on a shoestring budget as SOP.
But you won't get kids interested if you sound like a dead thump of smoking cow shit. Period.

Seriously, guy, play a few at the shops. Even some of the Fenders and Arias for <$500 will smoke the beans off of that thing.

Daniel Emon, WoodenBoat Magazine
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #9
t3ch
cucklord 9000

I have rondo cases, boards, basses, harmonicas, pickups, necks, tambourine, maracas... probably other stuff I've forgotten.

I would never buy an acoustic from them, or anyone, for that price.

t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
funkee1

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I have rondo cases, boards, basses, harmonicas, pickups, necks, tambourine, maracas... probably other stuff I've forgotten.

I would never buy an acoustic from them, or anyone, for that price.
Okay.......rethink in progress!
Old 07-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #11
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason why you need two? Couldn't you pool the money and get one nicer one?
Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can keep silent. The only way to gain approval is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me. Someone somewhere soon will take care of you, I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart. Houses as ruins and gardens as weeds. Why do anything when you can forget everything? I stare at the sky and it leaves me blind. I close my eyes and this is yesterday.

Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 15th July 2016
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
jonjohn
I'm back

What date is your birthday?
jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #13
rowka
Emotionally Unavailable

Looking at the picture of the $60 guitar that Rondo put up, the center-line of the neck/strings/bridge is not lined up with the center line of the body.

Live like a windrammer as you fuck!
AARG! I'm being crushed by an unkowable crab apple!
Holy shit Karl....

Quote:
bassesofalessergod said... View Post
Quote:
bassesofalessergod said... View Post
i'll buy you all the wood you want for a tele bass...

tell me ho wmuch!
best. post. ever.
rowka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
funkee1

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason why you need two? Couldn't you pool the money and get one nicer one?
I don't really need two, but it would be good to have an steel string and a nylon string handy, and I just happened upon the deal!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
funkee1

Quote:
jonjohn said... View Post
What date is your birthday?
Aug. 24th
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
lug

I bought 2 "mid-range" Rondo acoustics for the kids a million years ago. They were fine. Don't go for the cheapy.
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #17
jonjohn
I'm back

Quote:
funkee1 said... View Post
Aug. 24th
Well I won't wish you a happy birthday just yet thrn
jonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote