ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #1621
Jugghaid
Buildiing green economies

Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post

I just started "Novice" by Taran Matharu
About halfway throught the second book of the Trilogy.

Good storytelling, but it just kind of annoys me when an author builds a world that is like 90% Tolkein (elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Humans) then adds in modern societal stuff like Pinkertons, and then adds in their own flavor/magic system. And I would have left firearms out of the deal altogether.

It's a solid 5.

“Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck.”
-Joss Whedon

"Our Dark Lord has some tasty spunk, yo."
-C7

www.corezero.rocks
Jugghaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #1622
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Good God the last third of Dune is a slog.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #1623
King Kashue
Hippity hoppity

Quote:
LonerMatt said... View Post
That being said, like a lot of SF/Fantasy it rushes the ending, which is a personal pet peeve.
Hi there, I may be able to help you.

Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
Good God the last third of Dune is a slog.
I've never felt that way. Both Dune and Dune Messiah are books that I have to "ration out" because I get through them too fast.

"Flying underwater is a helluva thing." - Bro. Mango
"be warned - all women are lying cheating whores" - Weirdocat
"In my opinion it would be a lot better to get some fact into our STUFF" - Helen V. Beden.
King Kashue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #1624
LonerMatt

Last time I read the Dune books was ~15 years ago.

I should re-read them.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #1625
t3ch
cucklord 9000

Quote:
Have you read Red Rising?

It's similar-ish (or so I feel from 110 pages of Divergent), but has a bit more of a kick to it, I think!
I just read that series before the g2g. Two friends recommended it separately within the same week so I went ahead and grabbed the first book.

Only took a week to finish the trilogy, couldn't put them down. I usually don't have the attention span to binge read like that but it grabbed me similar to some other series you've probably heard of (Enders Game, Harry Potter, Hunger Games). It's not exactly high literature, and there isn't a lot of backstory/exposition, but that results in fantastic pacing. Not a dull moment the entire way, even if some of it's predictable.

Last edited by t3ch; 07-06-2017 at 10:09 PM.
t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #1626
Taustin Powers

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Should have updated but this is the first time I've been on my computer since Monday! Finished it on Tuesday and I enjoyed it. Guessed some of the twist in advance but not all of it.
Glad you liked it. I couldn't get into it, and the "twist" was silly and unnecessary to me. I thought this would be a book that would deeply move me emotionally, but somehow it didn't really make me care all that much.
Taustin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:25 AM   #1627
LonerMatt

Quote:
t3ch said... View Post
I just read that series before the g2g. Two friends recommended it separately within the same week so I went ahead and grabbed the first book.

Only took a week to finish the trilogy, couldn't put them down. I usually don't have the attention span to binge read like that but it grabbed me similar to some other series you've probably heard of (Enders Game, Harry Potter, Hunger Games). It's not exactly high literature, and there isn't a lot of backstory/exposition, but that results in fantastic pacing. Not a dull moment the entire way, even if some of it's predictable.
Bro are you talking bout RR or Divergent?

Just finished Divergent. Man it is easy to smash through. Something I enjoy but don't love or really feel there's a lot to it, but perfect for what I'm up to today (waiting while scanning film) so it's all good.
LonerMatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #1628
allan
arrogant pontificator

Just started this -

Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #1629
82Daion
partofthesolutionproblem

Read Michael Lewis' "Flash Boys" over the weekend. I enjoy his writing but I'm always amused when he posits that the solution to the issues facing our financial system will come from within it.
82Daion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #1630
Freak
on a Leash

Send a message via Skype™ to Freak
Quote:
Taustin Powers said... View Post
Glad you liked it. I couldn't get into it, and the "twist" was silly and unnecessary to me. I thought this would be a book that would deeply move me emotionally, but somehow it didn't really make me care all that much.
I didn't go into it expecting that. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it more?

Quote:
allan said... View Post
Just started this -

Oh my goodness that book broke me. But I remain unconvinced by the final chapter.
Do not listen to a word I say, just listen to what I can keep silent. The only way to gain approval is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me. Someone somewhere soon will take care of you, I repent, I'm sorry, everything is falling apart. Houses as ruins and gardens as weeds. Why do anything when you can forget everything? I stare at the sky and it leaves me blind. I close my eyes and this is yesterday.

Winner of the Zamfir Post of the Day Award!!! 15th July 2016
Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #1631
allan
arrogant pontificator

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
Oh my goodness that book broke me. But I remain unconvinced by the final chapter.
I figure the book is gonna make me sad but after the first five chapters I've found it pretty amazing so far.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #1632
t3ch
cucklord 9000

The "What are you reading" thread.

Quote:
Bro are you talking bout RR or Divergent?

Just finished Divergent. Man it is easy to smash through. Something I enjoy but don't love or really feel there's a lot to it, but perfect for what I'm up to today (waiting while scanning film) so it's all good.

I was referring to red rising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #1633
Freak
on a Leash

Quote:
allan said... View Post
I figure the book is gonna make me sad but after the first five chapters I've found it pretty amazing so far.
I loved every word, right up until the final chapter. Which I can't decide if I liked or hated.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #1634
Mikko

Quote:
Taustin Powers said... View Post
I was a little disappointed by Mr. Mercedes. Could have been something excitingly different from King, a gritty crime story, but in the end it was the typical bunch of misfit antiheros saving the day. Not a bad read per se, but a wasted opportunity. How do the sequels compare?
I was somewhat disappointed by Mr. Mercedes, too. Enough to make me ignore the other parts of the trilogy when they came out. I think it's meant to be only a trilogy.

Finders Keepers is almost a standalone story, it has a long buildup before the familiar characters enter the picture. It's a story set in the Mr Merc world, initially told from a different point of view. I'd say it's the best of the three, if you only read one of them.

End of Watch is where things get a more supernatural twist, and it wraps up the trilogy. It had a lot of social commentary in a way I don't remember reading...hearing in a King novel.

I liked them, but I really can't say how much of that was down to the narration.
Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #1635
allan
arrogant pontificator

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
I loved every word, right up until the final chapter. Which I can't decide if I liked or hated.
Just finished it, it was an amazing read. Had to read the last chapter twice and my opinion changed on the second read but then I'm a sucker for happy endings

Highly recommended.

Next up:

Last edited by allan; 07-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #1636
Mikko

I'm reading The Last Wish short story collection by Andrzej Sapkowski. I first learned about the world of Witcher playing Witcher 3, and was profoundly impressed by it.

Before learning more about it that way, I knew Poland only as a used-to-be really repressed country behind the Iron Curtain but not much else beyond that. (I mean *really*. We used to be happy things weren't anything like East Germany in Finland. You had to wait "20 years" for a car there. In Poland you had to wait "20 years" for a "private" phone line)

Now there's this easy way to access a lot of Polish folklore and mythology, written originally for Polish audiences. I haven't and don't really want to dissect it analytically, I simply like it a lot.

As I recently posted in another thread, I went to Kraków, Poland to start my vacation. The Witcher connection was a major reason for that. Many still consider Poland as a no-go place...less than a two-hour flight to any part of it from here.I learned a lot about its history, and what they really don't want to deal with about it yet. And what modern (Western) trends are still rejected there.

I bought the copy of The Last Wish in a Kraków bookstore...and I know I'll never learn enough Polish to even try reading the original version.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #1637
Jugghaid

Quote:
Jugghaid said... View Post
About halfway throught the second book of the Trilogy.

Good storytelling, but it just kind of annoys me when an author builds a world that is like 90% Tolkein (elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Humans) then adds in modern societal stuff like Pinkertons, and then adds in their own flavor/magic system. And I would have left firearms out of the deal altogether.

It's a solid 5.
Think I figured out why...it's classified as YA fantasy.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #1638
allan
arrogant pontificator

Camino Island wasn't bad, but I don't think it was one of Grisham's best.

Just started:

Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #1639
ec437
Senior Virtue Signaler

Quote:
ec437 said... View Post
Finished Catch-22. Started Bill Bryson's At Home.
This morning I learned that the Norwegians changed the name of one of their lakes to Wenham Lake in order to encroach on the American monopoly on the 19th century ice trade.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #1640
Jugghaid

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

Been wanting to start this trilogy for a while. I've heard good things.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #1641
bassment zombie
memberer

Well, as I was just getting going on this book:

My digital library request I made long ago for this book becomes available:

So pausing on the Rothfuss and bouncing into some Dick here

Loved Blade Runner. Always meant to read this one, but never got around to it till now.
7 chapters in, and hooking me right.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #1642
Mikko

Quote:
allan said... View Post
Camino Island wasn't bad, but I don't think it was one of Grisham's best.

Just started:

I think I saw the Swedish movie trailer for that at some point, but never saw it. Please do tell what you think about it.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #1643
Freak
on a Leash

Quote:
bassment zombie said... View Post
My digital library request I made long ago for this book becomes available:

So pausing on the Rothfuss and bouncing into some Dick here

Loved Blade Runner. Always meant to read this one, but never got around to it till now.
7 chapters in, and hooking me right.
I adored this. Read it before seeing Bladerunner and was consequently disappointed by the film. It's barely even the same story. I can blast through DADOES? in a couple of hours.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #1644
bassment zombie
memberer

The "What are you reading" thread.

Quote:
Freak said... View Post
I adored this. Read it before seeing Bladerunner and was consequently disappointed by the film. It's barely even the same story. I can blast through DADOES? in a couple of hours.
Thanks for sharing that - loving it

Does anyone know of any good free sites to recommend for enhancing the literary experience for books and novels? Thematic analysis and the like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bassment zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #1645
allan
arrogant pontificator

Finished

and that's really a must-read. Probably the best novel I've read in years and it broke me a little more than The Art of Racing in the Rain did but was one hell of a page-turner.

Reading some kinda unremarkable Koontz fiction now hoping it gets a little better
Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #1646
lug

Quote:
allan said... View Post
Finished

and that's really a must-read. Probably the best novel I've read in years and it broke me a little more than The Art of Racing in the Rain did but was one hell of a page-turner.

Reading some kinda unremarkable Koontz fiction now hoping it gets a little better
"unremarkable Koontz fiction" is an oxymoron.
The path of the sucky man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of bass men. Blessed is he who, in the name Lug and good will, shepherds the on-beat rhythm through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost notes and tunings. And I will strike down upon thy strings with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to play on beat and in tune. And you will know my name is Lug when I lay my MP3's upon you! - CHUNKY-B
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #1647
allan
arrogant pontificator

Finished the Koontz thriller (The Corner of his Eye) which started a bit slow and had what I thought was a disappointing ending.

Started The Caine Mutiny this morning and so far am thoroughly enjoying it.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #1648
lug

Started The Witchwood Crown after finishing The Heart Of What Was Lost (novella between The Memory Sorrow, and Thorn and the Last King Of Sten Ard series) . Previously read Raven Stratagem (follow up to Ninefox Gambit).
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #1649
bassment zombie
memberer

Thoroughly enjoyed & finished "Do Androids...?" (I gave it a 4/5 on my goodreads account)

Back to Rothfuss:

bassment zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #1650
MrJoshua
Quit ogling my member!

Send a message via AIM to MrJoshua Send a message via Yahoo to MrJoshua
Quote:
lug said... View Post
Started The Witchwood Crown after finishing The Heart Of What Was Lost (novella between The Memory Sorrow, and Thorn and the Last King Of Sten Ard series) . Previously read Raven Stratagem (follow up to Ninefox Gambit).
I want to go back and re-read the Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series before I read any of the new ones.