ebassist dot com  ebassist dot com...

Go Back   ebassist dot com > stuff... > the ebassist pub

Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
Low Tone
Gone And Forgotten

I miss killing things and eating them but MO's deer are tiny and pathetic. Iowa has huge ass, cornfed deer with monster racks but an out of state hunting license costs roughly the equivalent of a used car.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #32
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

These guys manage to get some big deer in MO.

It's all about location. I'm sure there are monster deer in MO, just as there are big ones in VA. If I went hunting in my corner of the state, I'd be lucky to bring home a 90 pound buck. However, I plan on hunting in a much better area where there is actually a well managed deer population, so if I get a shot, it will be on a nice animal.
burdizzos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #33
xOriginalNinjax

My wife wants to get me into hunting. The only gun I've ever fired was a .22 when I was back in frickin boy scouts.
xOriginalNinjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #34
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
xOriginalNinjax said... View Post
My wife wants to get me into hunting. The only gun I've ever fired was a .22 when I was back in frickin boy scouts.
Three words: Hunter's Safety Course.

It may sound silly, but it's worth the time even if you only learn one thing that might help keep you safe.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #35
xOriginalNinjax

Quote:
burdizzos said... View Post

It may sound silly, but it's worth the time even if you only learn one thing that might help keep you safe.
Oh, I know. Last thing I want is to be shot because of doing/forgetting to do something stupidly simple.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #36
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
xOriginalNinjax said... View Post
Oh, I know. Last thing I want is to be shot because of doing/forgetting to do something stupidly simple.
That's how nearly all hunting accidents happen. I took the course last year despite the fact that I've hunted and been around guns most of my life. The safety refresher was worth the time.

Also, put in the time at the range. If you can't reliably hit paper, you'll increase your odds of wounding and not recovering an animal.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #37
xOriginalNinjax

Quote:
That's how nearly all hunting accidents happen. I took the course last year despite the fact that I've hunted and been around guns most of my life. The safety refresher was worth the time.

Also, put in the time at the range. If you can't reliably hit paper, you'll increase your odds of wounding and not recovering an animal.
Definitely planned on that as well. I know that firing/scoping out a rifle is different than a bb gun, but I used to be pretty good at that. I also used to (albeit 10+ years ago) be a decent aim with a bow. Though that was in boy scouts with hay targets from maybe 50 yards...likely 30.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #38
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

50 yards is a long way with a bow, most people can't consistently group shots in an 8" circle(the average deer kill zone size) at 50 yards and I'm definitely one of them. Kate puts in the time, so she can probably do it with ease.

I'm looking forward to the end of deer season, so I can get out on the hunt club property with my shotgun to do some rabbit hunting. I find small game hunting far more interesting than big game hunting. It's hiking with a firearm.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #39
xOriginalNinjax

yeah, so maybe it was 25-30 yards, like I said, 10+ years ago.

I know my wife likes deer meat, from what i've had (though I'm gonna guess most of it was prep) I didn't care for it. I could probably grow to like it.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #40
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Deer varies more in flavor and texture more than just about any other meat. It can be done well, but it takes more effort from start to finish than cow or pig. I find that deer is a good substitute in recipes that call for the less than desirable cuts of beef.

Sure, you can make great deer steaks, but it's easier to use the meat in chili.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #41
xOriginalNinjax

Quote:
Deer varies more in flavor and texture more than just about any other meat. It can be done well, but it takes more effort from start to finish than cow or pig. I find that deer is a good substitute in recipes that call for the less than desirable cuts of beef.

Sure, you can make great deer steaks, but it's easier to use the meat in chili.
That's really good to know. Especially since I <3 chili.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #42
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Also, deer sausage is delicious.

It has far less fat in it than pork or beef, so it requires a different skill set to cook properly. Any idiot can make a delicious steak or pork chop, but it takes a lot more to make deer taste good.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #43
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:
GravelRock said... View Post
We pack out the wifes 5x5 Archery Bull Elk in the morning. It was our typical tag-team effort. After much frustration, we finally got ahead of him. I called him in, she took him out. A beautiful double lung shot at 14 paces.

Any critter within bow range of her is truly endangered.

Have a safe trip Kate and Happy Blood Trails to you and yours.
Awesome! Congrats to her!

Quote:

These are required courses in the three states I hunt in anyway....

As for bow, when I'm excellent practice, I'll consider taking a shot at a deer up to 30 yards, depending on wind conditions. Never more than that. I prefer to be within 20. That's being able to consistently hit 5 inch groups at 60 yards. There's just too much more going on when you are shooting at an animal.

Wyoming has somewhat small deer, but it's the tradition of it that I love. It's the week of the year my dad spend together. I love the country, the hiking (I'm going to love doing a lot of still hunting this year) and all the crap you see that you don't get to in the city.

That and I love eating venison. I typically shoot 3-4 deer a year and I'm pleased as hell if they are all does because....well....nom nom nom

Innocent post from Kate.
Cocks come cock it all up.
Kate starts cursing.
Kate realizes that cocks are cocking her out of love.
Kate rides the wave.
Group hug.
t3ch says something racist.
www.cmkfinancialservices.com

BottomHeavyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

I'm doing most of my deer hunting after Christmas this year because that's when the late either sex days are. I don't give a shit about trophies, I'm in it for the meat and conservation.

Shooting nothing but bucks does little to keep the deer population in check, so I'm going to provide some balance.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #45
GravelRock
Arrows R Us

Kate, here is the 5x5

GravelRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
GravelRock
Arrows R Us

Quote:

^This in spades.^

Not silly. Never silly. Required pretty much everywhere.

We have taught several classes the last few years and the 2 of the coolest things is seeing kids and couples there. Some spouses have no intention of hunting, but still want to share the experience. I remember one couple that never hunts but do shoot archery for exercise and relaxation. They took the class for the fun of it. Kids seem to dig it all.

Regardless of weapon, if safety is not first, you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #47
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

I could be wrong, but it seems like the outdoor sports culture has changed for the better in the last twenty or so years. There seems to be far more support for safety in the community and less macho attitude. There are still plenty of idiots with guns and boats out there, but I think the average outdoors(wo)man is more concerned with safety than in previous generations.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #48
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
Quote:
I could be wrong, but it seems like the outdoor sports culture has changed for the better in the last twenty or so years. There seems to be far more support for safety in the community and less macho attitude. There are still plenty of idiots with guns and boats out there, but I think the average outdoors(wo)man is more concerned with safety than in previous generations.
Do you think that this new attitude is due to increased regulation, or a general shift in the mindset of the average outdoorsman/woman?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

I think it's a little of both. The increased requirements for safety courses and safety oriented regulations definitely raise the average hunter's awareness of issues that they wouldn't have otherwise considered.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
GravelRock
Arrows R Us

Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
Do you think that this new attitude is due to increased regulation, or a general shift in the mindset of the average outdoorsman/woman?

Great observation Rev. A bit of both, I believe.

Common sense in regards to hunting safety cannot be regulated. However, the mandatory Hunter Safety Course regulations at least give a newcomer to the activity some guidlines - awareness if you will.

Basic weapons safety is of course the responsibility of the hunter, but things beyond that can be lessons hard learned. No one wants to end the day injured. That sucks, but it does happen.

As a rule, personally, the wife and I NEVER go afield without letting the other know the plan. We also generally hunt together - I love that part.

I want to add, to all the non-hunters, some of our most memorable days have resulted nothing killed, but something seen or heard that we still talk about.

Time in the wild is what really matters.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
Reverend179

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend179
I didn't take a gun safety course until I was about 17. When I was 6 or 7, my grandpa took me into the back field and put a deer slug through a cantaloupe. 'This is what this does. This is what it does to people. This is why you don't ever point it at people. Your gun is always loaded. Your finger isn't on the trigger until you want to shoot, and you better not point it at anything you don't intend to kill'.

That terrified me enough to instill the 'remove mazazine/inspect chamber' rule into me almost immediately.
Reverend179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #52
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Looks like I'm going to get two November opportunities for some Georgia swine. I'm going back down there for Thanksgiving. The moon and temperature will be working in my favor for that trip, so my odds will be even better still.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #53
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Hey Kate, how'd your trip go?

Mine was shit for killing things but awesome for having some outdoors fun.

I only got to hit the field twice and didn't really get to do it the way I wanted to. On the second day, I was sure that I was bringing home some pork. The little bastards were all over the place and I could hear them moving in, but I ran out of daylight before I could see one.

The weather was beautiful and I had a good time organizing the hunt, so I guess that counts for something.

We're going to try a new location if I go back for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #54
xOriginalNinjax

Quote:
Reverend179 said... View Post
I didn't take a gun safety course until I was about 17. When I was 6 or 7, my grandpa took me into the back field and put a deer slug through a cantaloupe. 'This is what this does. This is what it does to people. This is why you don't ever point it at people. Your gun is always loaded. Your finger isn't on the trigger until you want to shoot, and you better not point it at anything you don't intend to kill'.

That terrified me enough to instill the 'remove mazazine/inspect chamber' rule into me almost immediately.
I've barely ever handled anything but a bb gun but I won't point a gun anywhere but at the ground, even IF I know it's empty.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #55
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Send a message via AIM to BottomHeavyKate Send a message via Yahoo to BottomHeavyKate
Quote:
Hey Kate, how'd your trip go?

Mine was shit for killing things but awesome for having some outdoors fun.

I only got to hit the field twice and didn't really get to do it the way I wanted to. On the second day, I was sure that I was bringing home some pork. The little bastards were all over the place and I could hear them moving in, but I ran out of daylight before I could see one.

The weather was beautiful and I had a good time organizing the hunt, so I guess that counts for something.

We're going to try a new location if I go back for Thanksgiving.
I had a very successful season. One very nice sized doe, a beautiful 8 pointer and another adult doe in Wyoming. The weather was gorgeous but the deer made us work. The acorn crop this year was huge so they stayed in the deep woods. If it was daylight, we were hunting.

Glad you had a good trip. Sorry you didn't get anything but we chatted quite a bit about Savannah in March!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
dogbreath
doesn't sniff butts

My brother finally got his first bull elk. He's been hunting for 37 years!
He's got lots of bucks but this is his first bull.

(shit...tried to load a pic but I'm a boob.)
dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #57
dogbreath
doesn't sniff butts

I used to hunt all the time but winters in Montana are too damned cold and I'm a weenie.

The last time I went, it had been a few years and my folks talked me into it.
So they loaned me a 30:30 lever action (cool gun btw) and I go sit up behind this tree at dawn.
I hear some twigs snappin, look up and there's this fat 4X4 buck bounding down the hill not 75 yards away.
I threw the gun up, snapped off a quick shot and he dropped.

My first thought was that he tripped.

I walk down to see wussup and he was down...one shot thru the lungs, in the middle of one of his leaps and a down hill shot to boot.

Pure dumb luck shot but I'll take it. Gave us almost 200 lbs of meat for the winter.
dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #58
burdizzos
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
BottomHeavyKate said... View Post
I had a very successful season. One very nice sized doe, a beautiful 8 pointer and another adult doe in Wyoming. The weather was gorgeous but the deer made us work. The acorn crop this year was huge so they stayed in the deep woods. If it was daylight, we were hunting.

Glad you had a good trip. Sorry you didn't get anything but we chatted quite a bit about Savannah in March!

Good Stuff!

I've got a line on a better area in the Savannah NWR and my brother-in-law is now making it a life goal to shoot a hog in there. He was genuinely upset that we didn't see anything. As a result, he's going to be doing some serious recon and finding out what we need to do, where we need to be and what approach we should take.

As expected, the waning crescent and awesome weather made things nearly impossible for us. The hogs had no reason to be out and about during the daylight hours. We went once in the early morning and once in the afternoon. Plenty of activity before and after sunset, but no animals were spotted.

I'm happy to just get out in the woods and get some quiet time.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #59
mykizha
Resident Non Resident

Quote:
BottomHeavyKate said... View Post

Nice buck Kate!!

Are you hunting public land or private in Wyoming?

So far this year:
Took two daughters on the youth hunt, one got a small buck and the other a doe.

I killed a small 8 point with my bow on public land and passed a few other small bucks.
mykizha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #60
BottomHeavyKate
I'm with genius ^^^^

Quote:
mykizha said... View Post
Nice buck Kate!!

Are you hunting public land or private in Wyoming?

So far this year:
Took two daughters on the youth hunt, one got a small buck and the other a doe.

I killed a small 8 point with my bow on public land and passed a few other small bucks.
Nice! Good looking family there sir!

We hunt on a private ranch surrounded by national forest land. I had to hunt private land only this year as I only had doe tags (can harvest only bucks on public land). We have about 3000 acres at our disposal. These nice ones come few and far between as my only aim every year is to fill my freezer. But they are nice when they happen!